| Ahoy! This here is the 195th Featured Article.
"Worst Generation" has been featured, meaning it was chosen as an article of interest.
Worst Generation is a term that refers to the eleven top rookie pirates, with bounties over 100,000,000 who arrived in the Sabaody Archipelago before the Whitebeard War (whom are denoted as the Eleven Supernovas (11人の超新星 Jūichinin no Chōshinsei?)), and to one of the Yonko, "Blackbeard" Marshall D. Teach. They are famous for the bold antics committed against the World Government, so they have high bounties for their heads. Also, most of the major conflicts that have occurred after the Battle of Marineford revolve around them. As is the case, they are regarded as "problem children" who appeared between the end of the Golden Age of Pirates and the beginning of the New Age.
Before they became known as the Worst Generation, the eleven Supernovas are the top rookie pirates from nine different crews who all chose one of the seven routes along the Grand Line. They are comprised of the captains of the nine crews as well as two other crew mates who also are above the bounty threshold of 100,000,000. They come from all seas - East Blue, West Blue, South Blue, North Blue, Sky Island, and the Grand Line itself. A common trait they all possess is that they have caught the attention of the World Government and have survived many ordeals that have wiped out other pirate crews during their voyage in the Grand Line. Though they are all on par with each other as far as threat level is concerned, they represent different views on piracy.
With the exception of the Straw Hat Pirates, most Supernovas attempted to avoid the paths of the World Nobles. Coincidentally, all the Supernovas arrived on the Sabaody Archipelago at the same time which caused a series of issues for the Marines. In addition, all of them, except for the Straw Hat Pirates and the Heart Pirates, entered the New World almost simultaneously. Marshall D. Teach and his crew, on the other hand, were already in the New World by the time the rookies were making preparations.
Of the twelve pirates, all but two (Roronoa Zoro and Killer) are Devil Fruit users and captains of their respective pirate crews. According to Shakuyaku, one of the Supernovas could potentially be responsible for inspiring a whole new generation of pirates, a comment that is made true when it was revealed that Luffy inspired Bartolomeo to become a pirate.
|Monkey D. Luffy||Trafalgar D. Water Law||Eustass Kid||Scratchmen Apoo|
|Basil Hawkins||Roronoa Zoro||Capone Bege||X Drake|
|Killer||Jewelry Bonney||Urouge||Marshall D. Teach|
|Name||Origin||Affiliation||Bounty||Abilities, Weapons, and Powers||Epithet|
|Monkey D. Luffy||East Blue||500,000,000||"Straw Hat" (“麦わら” モンキー・D・ルフィ "Mugiwara" Monkī Dī Rufi?)|
|Trafalgar D. Water Law||North Blue||500,000,000||"Surgeon of Death" (“死の外科医” トラファルガー・ロー "Shi no Gekai" Torafarugā Rō?)|
|Eustass Kid||South Blue||470,000,000||"Captain" (ユースタス・“キャプテン”キッド Yūsutasu "Kyaputen" Kiddo?)|
|Scratchmen Apoo||Grand Line (Longarm Tribe)||350,000,000||"Roar of the Sea" (“海鳴り” スクラッチメン・アプー "Umi Nari" Sukuracchimen Apū?)|
|Basil Hawkins||North Blue||320,000,000||"Magician" (“魔術師” バジル・ホーキンス "Majutsushi" Bajiru Hōkinsu?)|
|Roronoa Zoro||East Blue||320,000,000||"Pirate Hunter" (“海賊狩り” ロロノア・ゾロ "Kaizoku Gari" Roronoa Zoro?)|
|Capone Bege||West Blue||300,000,000||"Gang" (カポネ・“ギャング”ベッジ Capone "Gyangu" Bejji?)|
|X Drake||North Blue||222,000,000||"Red Flag" (“赤旗” X・ドレーク "Aka Hata" Diesu Dorēku?)|
|Killer||South Blue||Fighter for the Kid Pirates||200,000,000||
||"Massacre Soldier" (“殺戮武人” キラー "Satsuriku Bujin" Kirā?)|
|Jewelry Bonney||South Blue||Captain of the Bonney Pirates||140,000,000||Paramecia Devil Fruit power that manipulates the age of any person, including herself.||"Big Eater" (“大喰らい” ジュエリー・ボニー "Ō Gurai" Juerī Bonī?)|
|Urouge||Sky Island||Captain of the Fallen Monk Pirates||108,000,000||"Mad Monk" (“怪僧” ウルージ "Kai Sō" Urūji?)|
|Marshall D. Teach||Unknown||Unknown||"Blackbeard" ("黒ひげ" マーシャル・D・ティーチ "Kurohige" Māsharu Dī Tīchi?)|
Summit War SagaEdit
Sabaody Archipelago ArcEdit
Prior to their arrival at Sabaody Archipelago, their journeys in the Grand Line are unknown, except for the journey of the Straw Hat Pirates. It was mentioned that the Kid Pirates have caused mass civilian casualties during their journey and the Fire Tank Pirates killed infamous pirate captains while leaving their crews intact. The eleven Supernovas all arrived at Sabaody Archipelago at the same time.
Due to a major incident where Monkey D. Luffy punched a World Noble at the Human Auctioning House, all of the Supernovas were struggling to evacuate the Archipelago, facing confrontations with Marines, an army of Pacifista, Admiral Kizaru, and Sentomaru. One by one, they started displaying their unique abilities that made their outrageously high bounties well-deserved. However, the results and circumstances regarding their individual showdowns varied:
- The Kid Pirates and Heart Pirates were caught in a battle with a Pacifista. The end of the battle was unseen, but they apparently managed to escape capture.
- Basil Hawkins, X Drake, Urouge, and Scratchmen Apoo fought against and were easily defeated by Kizaru himself and a Pacifista. However, they also managed to escape.
- Capone Bege and Jewelry Bonney had little trouble, apparently facing only Marines before escaping from the area.
- The Straw Hat Pirates fought against a Pacifista designated as PX-4. They were able to defeat it, but they were soon confronted by Sentomaru and another Pacifista, PX-1. Kizaru joined the fray, but was held back by Silvers Rayleigh. Bartholomew Kuma appeared and teleported each of the Straw Hats to different faraway locations one by one.
Amazon Lily ArcEdit
Luffy ended up on Amazon Lily, where he had to evade the hostile Kuja Tribe. He eventually encountered Boa Hancock and later fought in the arena against her two sisters. After befriending Hancock and the Kuja Tribe, Luffy became aware that his adopted brother, Portgas D. Ace, was sentenced to execution by the World Government. He decided to go to Impel Down, the prison where Ace was held, to rescue him.
Impel Down ArcEdit
With Hancock's help, Luffy was able to infiltrate Impel Down. Luffy was discovered and he had to fight his way through. Along the way, Luffy reunited with Buggy, Galdino, and Bentham. After a battle with the warden Magellan, Luffy was poisoned and thrown in Level 5. Bentham then carried Luffy and they made it to Newkama Land, where they encountered Emporio Ivankov. After a painful healing session, Luffy regained his strength and went to Level 6 with Ivankov and another ally, Inazuma. However, by the time they arrived at Ace's cell, they learned that Ace already had been taken out of the prison and was on his way to Marineford. After recruiting Jinbe and Crocodile, Luffy and the break-out team fought to escape the prison. Meanwhile, Blackbeard arrived to invade the prison. Luffy met him again and got into a brief fight. Thanks to Bentham staying behind to keep the Gates of Justice open, Luffy and the break-out team managed to escape Impel Down.
Luffy and the Impel Down escapees intruded on the war between the Whitebeard Pirates and the Marines at Marineford. There, Luffy's heritage was revealed to the entire world. As Luffy fought his way towards Ace, the rest of the Supernovas (save for Zoro) were at Sabaody Archipelago, watching the war via a broadcast. After the broadcast from the battlefield was cut, they left the archipelago.
With the help of his allies, both from Impel Down and the Whitebeard Pirates, Luffy was able to reach and free Ace. As they were escaping, Admiral Akainu taunted Ace into a fight. While defending Luffy from an attack by the admiral, Ace was mortally wounded and died in front of Luffy, causing him to suffer a mental breakdown.
Near the end of the war, Trafalgar Law and his crew arrived at Marineford with their submersible vessel, apparently with the purpose of rescuing the injured Luffy by assisting in his escape and treating his wounds afterward.
Aside from Zoro and Luffy, the rest of the Supernovas were revealed to have traveled to the outskirts of Marineford to witness the conclusion of the war. Luffy and Law were invited to take refuge at Amazon Lily by Boa Hancock, whom they met up with after the war. Zoro was still at Kuraigana Island and he encountered Dracule Mihawk again. The rest of the Supernovas headed off to the New World.
While recovering, Luffy grieved over Ace's death, but Jinbe was able to help him overcome his depression. Luffy then reunited with Rayleigh, who had arrived at Amazon Lily himself.
After Rayleigh's arrival, Law left Amazon Lily, wondering what the "D." would bring next. During a conversation with his crew, Law decided to bide his time before entering the New World as he deemed the battles there to be too ferocious for the time being.
Following a plan by Rayleigh, Luffy returned to Marineford seemingly to pay his respects to his brother and the fallen Marines and pirates as well as ringing the Ox Bell 16 times, as if declaring a new age of his own (though it was just to grab his crew's attention).
Sometime upon landing in the New World, Bonney was defeated by Marshall D. Teach. He attempted to exchange her for a Marine battleship, but she was left behind to be arrested when Teach saw Admiral Akainu on board the incoming Marine ship and knew Akainu would have no interest in striking a deal for Bonney.
While torturing an unnamed crew he defeated in the New World, Kid read in the newspaper about Luffy's second appearance at Marineford.
At the same time, Bege and his crew were drawn toward a giant black ball in the sky, Hawkins prepared to battle Brownbeard, Urouge had trouble landing on Raijin Island until he was approached by an old woman who offered him umbrellas, Apoo and his crew were running in midair from a pack of savage boars, and Drake decided to take down one of Kaido's subordinates and gain the Yonko's attention.
Meanwhile, the Straw Hat Pirates, having read the true intent behind Luffy's message, decided to take a two-year training break in order to become strong enough to challenge the New World.
During the TimeskipEdit
During the timeskip, various events occurred with the Worst Generation rookies:
- Monkey D. Luffy was on Rusukaina with Silvers Rayleigh to master the basics of Haki and was given a bounty of 400,000,000 after the war at Marineford.
- Roronoa Zoro trained under Dracule Mihawk in swordsmanship and also learned Busoshoku Haki from him.
- Marshall D. Teach and his crew began targeting powerful Devil Fruit users in order to steal their abilities and they used their captain's knowledge of Whitebeard's former territory to conquer it. Doing this made Teach a major threat in the New World, and after his victory over the Whitebeard Pirates in the Payback War, the World Government labeled him as a Yonko.
- Trafalgar Law got his bounty increased to 440,000,000 for yet unknown reasons. At some point during the timeskip, he sent the hearts of one hundred pirates to the World Government, earning him the title of Shichibukai. He was held responsible as the mastermind of an event known as "The Rocky Port Incident".
- Eustass Kid, Killer, Basil Hawkins, and Scratchmen Apoo also got their bounties raised to 470,000,000, 200,000,000, 320,000,000, and 350,000,000 respectively.
- Jewelry Bonney was able to escape from the World Government.
- X Drake apparently joined Kaido's crew after his confrontation with Scotch.
- Kid, Killer, Apoo, Urouge, and Bege invaded Big Mom's territory, but were defeated. Urouge was able to defeat one of her Sweet Commanders, Snack, before being defeated by Charlotte Cracker and forced out.
- Capone Bege became a subordinate of Big Mom and his bounty was increased to 300,000,000. He also married Big Mom's 22nd daughter, Charlotte Chiffon, and they conceived a son named Capone Pez.
Fishman Island SagaEdit
Return to Sabaody ArcEdit
Having completed his two-year training, Luffy departed Rusukaina and the Kuja Pirates took him back to Sabaody Archipelago as the rest of the Straw Hats returned there as well. After arriving at the archipelago, Luffy encountered the Impostor Straw Hat Pirates. When the Marines and two Pacifistas arrived, Luffy displayed his new strength by defeating one of the cyborgs with a single punch. While fleeing, Luffy reunited with Zoro and Sanji, and the latter two defeated the other cyborg with ease. They later returned to the Thousand Sunny and Luffy reunited with the rest of his crew. They promptly escaped the archipelago and head for Fishman Island.
Fishman Island ArcEdit
During the undersea voyage, the Straw Hats encountered Caribou and took him captive. They later encountered a kraken, and Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji battled the beast using Flutter Kick Coating and freed a shark named Megalo in the process. However, Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji were separated from the group on the Thousand Sunny. Luffy managed to tame the kraken and named it Surume. They returned to the Sunny just in time to save the other Straw Hats from the crew of the Flying Dutchman. With Surume's assistance, the Straw Hats finally reached Fishman Island. However, before entering the island, the crew encountered three members of the New Fishman Pirates, who threatened to sink them if they did not join, prompting the Straw Hats to enter Fishman Island with a Coup de Burst.
Upon entry, the Straw Hats were once again separated. Luffy and the Straw Hats with him reunited with Keimi and explored the island. They were invited to the Ryugu Palace by King Neptune for rescuing Megalo. At the palace, Luffy encountered Shirahoshi and after hearing about her story, he decided to take her out of the palace. Because of Shyarly's prediction that Luffy will destroy Fishman Island, the Straw Hats were labeled as criminals, leading Zoro to fight Neptune and the Straw Hats taking over the palace. Luffy left the palace with Shirahoshi and took her to the Sea Forest, where he reunited with Jinbe. Back at the palace, Zoro had a confrontation with Hody Jones when the New Fishman Pirates arrived. After hearing about Hody Jones' invasion of the palace, Jinbe told Luffy and his group about his past.
The Straw Hats later regrouped and with Jinbe, they confronted the New Fishman Pirates and rescued the Neptune Royal Family from execution. After the defeat of the New Fishman Pirates, Luffy asked Jinbe to join his crew, but Jinbe declined, saying that had some business to take care of. Jinbe later told Luffy and his group about certain events that occurred within the last two years such as Sakazuki becoming Fleet Admiral and Blackbeard becoming a Yonko.
After taking some treasures that Caribou stole from the palace, Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji encountered Pekoms and Tamago. To protect Fishman Island from the Yonko, Charlotte Linlin, Luffy declared war on her. While speaking to Linlin about taking the treasures as compensation for the lack of candy tribute, Tamago also mentioned that Eustass Kid destroyed two ships of the Big Mom Pirates.
Viewed as heroes, the Straw Hats departed Fishman Island on good terms with the citizens and the crew finally started their journey in the New World.
Punk Hazard ArcEdit
After landing on Punk Hazard, the Straw Hats encountered Trafalgar Law, who became a Shichibukai. Law was then given no choice but to fight Vice Admiral Smoker, who arrived on the island with the unit from G-5 in pursuit of the Straw Hats. Law stole Smoker's heart and then went looking for Luffy. Shortly after finding Luffy, he then proposed an alliance between their two crews in order to take down Kaido of the Yonko, which Luffy accepted. The first step was to capture Caesar Clown, a scientist who was in charge of the island, where he developed weapons and SAD (necessary for the production of Artificial Devil Fruits, SMILEs) for another Shichibukai, Donquixote Doflamingo, who was responsible for supplying the Yonko with weapons.
They also encountered a samurai from the Wano Country, Kin'emon, and Momonosuke. Together with Smoker and the G-5, they agreed to help the Straw Hats in order to escape the island after Caesar unleashed a chemical weapon of mass destruction, Shinokuni, on Punk Hazard. Zoro, alongside Tashigi, went on to defeat Caesar's secretary, the Yuki Yuki no Mi user, Monet. Law and Smoker together defeated Doflamingo's right-hand man, Vergo, while destroying the SAD production facility at the same time. Luffy eventually defeated Caesar himself, who was then captured by the other Straw Hats. With Caesar as a hostage, they then blackmailed Doflamingo into dropping from his position as Shichibukai, as they sailed towards Dressrosa with Kin'emon and Momonosuke.
When Doflamingo seemingly dropped from his position as Shichibukai, as well as king of Dressrosa, the Straw Hats and Law landed on the island in order to hand over Caesar. However, their true plan was to destroy the SMILE Factory, located somewhere on the island, and thus weaken Kaido's forces. Unfortunately, it turned out that Doflamingo tricked them by manipulating the news, and made them fall into his trap. He separated Luffy from the group by using the Mera Mera no Mi as bait and lured him into battling at the Corrida Colosseum. Zoro was also separated from the group when his sword Shusui was stolen, prompting the swordsman to pursue the thief, which turned out to be a dwarf.
The new Admiral, Issho, also appeared on the island, and soon encountered Law at Green Bit during the exchange for Caesar. When Law admitted that he made an alliance with the Straw Hats rather than making them his subordinates, the admiral revoked the Shichibukai of his position. After a devastating three way scuffle between Law, Doflamingo, and Issho, the former Shichibukai managed to get Caesar to the Thousand Sunny, and distracted Doflamingo long enough for the crew on the ship to get away with the scientist. Law battled Doflamingo, but was eventually defeated and captured, right in front of Luffy and Zoro.
As Sanji, Nami, Chopper, Brook and Momonosuke take Caesar Clown away from Dressrosa, they are attacked by the Big Mom Pirates, who are after Caesar Clown. Capone Bege was also present aboard Big Mom's ship.
Luffy, after winning in the first round at the colosseum, witnessed Law's capture and took off after them, switching places with Sabo, who he recently found out to be alive and the second in command of the Revolutionary Army. Luffy, together with Zoro and Viola, the true princess of the country, infiltrated the palace and rescued both Law and the previous king of Dressrosa, Riku Dold III. When the conspiracy around Doflamingo was exposed, the Shichibukai uses his Ito Ito no Mi ability to create the Birdcage, forcing a bounty hunting game on the occupants of Dressrosa, to go after Law, Sabo, the remaining Straw Hats, as well as the Riku Family. Luffy, Zoro, Law, and some allies who were contestants in the colosseum then went after Doflamingo, with Zoro then facing off against one of Doflamingo's High Executives, Pica.
Law, who was still restrained by Seastone handcuffs from when he was captured by Doflamingo, had no choice but to be carried up the four levels of the plateau, on top of which was the castle. Thankfully, on the fourth plateau, they encountered Rebecca who had his key, and Law was freed afterwards. After narrowly escaping several of Doflamingo's executives thanks to their allies, they finally reached the Shichibukai who was casually sitting on the palace roof with Trebol at his side. Rather than fight them himself, Doflamingo used his ability to make a string clone and an unwilling Bellamy fight them. Annoyed, Luffy forced Law to use their secret plan, landing devastating blows on both Doflamingo and Trebol.
However, their victory was short-lived as Doflamingo isolated Luffy in a lower floor with a clone and Bellamy, as he and Trebol dealt with Law. Law listened as Doflamingo explained how his family lost their World Nobles status and Law inquired how Doflamingo was granted authority over CP-0. As their battle intensified, Law revealed to Doflamingo that he, like Luffy and Teach, is also a D. much to Doflamingo's shock. However, Doflamingo continued his attack, dismissing the idea that the D being God's Natural Enemy is just superstition. Doflamingo then severed Law's arm and then seemingly killed him by shooting him to death, but not before he started retracting the Birdcage he created. Little did Doflamingo realized, Law switched himself with one of Doflamingo's unconscious henchman, all the while maintaining a massive Room, in order to prepare for a counter-attack. When Luffy emerged after defeating his obstructions and saw the 'deceased' Law, he prepared to charge at the Heavenly Yaksha, only to receive a message from the still alive Surgeon of Death explaining a new strategy. This time Luffy got in close to Doflamingo, before switching with Law, who delivered a fatal blow. Unfortunately, it was not enough to take down Doflamingo, leaving Luffy to face the Shichibukai. However, despite this failure, Law taunted Trebol to get him close enough to deliver a mortal wound, which the 'Mucus-man' tried to respond with a suicide attack. Fortunately, it failed as Luffy escaped with Law to leave him in the care of Robin, Leo, Manshelly, and Cavendish, with the two dwarves attempting to fix Law's arm.
Elsewhere, Zoro's battle with Pica continued as it slowly took them away to the other end of the plateau. However, the Pirate Hunter learned too late that Pica was actually luring Zoro away from his actual targets. Pica assimilated himself back into the mountain and created another rock colossus, heading straight for the previous king's plateau where the former king Riku was located. Zoro instantly started racing to them, but realized he would be too late to save them if he relied only on his own power. Gaining the assistance of the colosseum participant, Orlumbus, to propel him, Zoro sliced the colossus to pieces. Successfully isolating the real body in mid-air, Zoro was able to defeat Pica in a single blow.
As the battle between Luffy and Doflamingo continued, the Straw Hat captain found himself at a disadvantage, being forced to use his trump card, Gear Fourth. Having turned the table on the Heavenly Yaksha, Luffy attempted to end the battle quickly in order to get rid of the Birdcage. However, Gear Fourth wore off before Luffy could deliver a finishing blow to Doflamingo. Gatz then appeared with some of the colosseum participants, offering to buy time for Luffy to recharge his Haki. Law then made his appearance, offering to watch over Luffy while Gatz distracted Doflamingo.
In the meantime, Zoro and every other able-bodied person attempted to slow down the cage long enough for Luffy to defeat Dofalmingo. Their efforts were able to buy a few precious minutes for Luffy to get up again. Despite getting hit by a barrage of Doflamingo's attacks, Luffy still managed to activate Gear Fourth, defeating the tyrant with a Gomu Gomu no King Kong Gun, ending his reign for good.
Following Doflamingo's defeat at the hands of Monkey D. Luffy, news of the Heart and Straw Hat Alliance's victory over the Donquixote Pirates spread all over the world. The reaction of several members of the Worst Generation to the news were shown. Jewelry Bonney praised Luffy and Law for their actions. Eustass Kid figured that the Heart and Straw Hat Alliance was after Kaido and Killer revealed that the target of Kid's alliance is Shanks. X Drake told his crew that his father was killed by Doflamingo, but he does not hold a grudge. Capone Bege was shown to be apparently working under the Big Mom Pirates and he was seeking to capture Caesar Clown.
Urouge was recovering on Ballon Terminal and encountered the Yonko Kaido who was visiting the Sky Island in order to jump off as one of his many suicide attempts due to his inability to die. Kaido ended up landing on the island where Kid's alliance was based.
Back at Dressrosa, the Straw Hats and Law recovered at Kyros's old home. Courtesy of Issho, they were allowed to recover their strength to run away when the Marines suddenly attempted to capture them on the third day. While Zoro ran straight to the getaway ship provided by their allies from their recent battle, Luffy reunited Rebecca with her father, while Law talked to Sengoku (who had recently arrived on the island) regarding his benefactor Donquixote Rosinante. As Issho raised the rubble with his ability, Law quickly made his way to the ship, while Luffy briefly battled the admiral. However, the Straw Hat captain was then blown away, giving his allies the opportunity to drag him away from the battle to the Yonta Maria.
There, Luffy was asked to lead an alliance including the Beautiful Pirates, the Barto Club, the Happo Navy, the XXX Gym Martial Arts Alliance (later renamed the Ideo Pirates), the Tonta Corps (led by Leo), the future Giant Warrior Pirates, and the Yonta Maria Grand Fleet. Though Luffy declined the offer only because he wanted them to make a choice, the Straw Hats Grand Fleet was formed anyway. After the events of Dressrosa, Luffy, Law, and Zoro got a bounty increase respectively of 500,000,000, 500,000,000 and 320,000,000.
After leaving Dressrosa, the Straw Hats, Law, and samurais went to Zou in order to find Sanji and the others. There, Law reunited with his crew, while Luffy found the rest of his, except for Sanji. They then learned that their crewmates helped save the country of the Mink Tribe, the Mokomo Dukedom, from annihilation at the hands of Kaido's right hand man, Jack. Incidentally, with Doflamingo's capture, they actually lured the majority of the Beasts Pirates away from Zou as they attempted to rescue the former Shichibukai.
During the time Luffy and the others were traveling to Zou, Capone Bege and Pekoms had arrived at Zou, hunting for Caesar Clown and Sanji's half of the Straw Hat Pirates. After Pekoms said that he would let the Straw Hats escape if they hand over Caesar, Bege shot him in the back before imprisoning the Straw Hats inside his body with his Shiro Shiro no Mi. Sanji helped Nami, Chopper, and Brook escaped but stayed behind and used Caesar as a hostage. Bege then retreated with Sanji and Caesar.
Hearing about the circumstances surrounding Sanji from Pekoms, Luffy decided to go to Big Mom's territory to rescue Sanji, much to the chagrin of Law and Zoro. After the Mink Tribe came in contact with Kin'emon and Kanjuro on the next day, Inuarashi and Nekomamushi took Luffy, Zoro, Law, and the rest of the Straw Hats to the Whale Forest, where Zou's Road Poneglyph is hidden. There, they formed an alliance to defeat Kaido.
The new alliance then split up. Luffy, Nami, Brook, and Chopper head for Whole Cake Island with Pekoms and Pedro, while Law, his crew, Zoro, and the rest of the Straw Hats head to Wano Country whilst preparing to face Kaido.
Meanwhile, Eustass Kid was revealed to have been imprisoned by Kaido.
Whole Cake Island ArcEdit
As Luffy and the rest of the Sanji Retrieval team head to Whole Cake Island, they were surprised to find a stowaway in the form of Carrot, the rabbit mink. During the voyage, Luffy and the retrieval team learned from a newspaper that the Revolutionary Army's base on Baltigo had been destroyed by the Blackbeard Pirates. With no one onboard who could cook (with the exception of Nami, who would charge them), Luffy then volunteered to cook, but his dish ended up being inedible and he wasted all their ingredients. Famished, the Sanji Retrieval Team had no choice but to fish for their food and leave the cooking to Nami. They eventually caught an Armored Stonefish in the Hot-Hot Sea, but Luffy carelessly ate it before it could be properly detoxified. Despite having a resistance to poison, Luffy was brought to the verge of death. The team then encountered a ship belonging to Germa 66 and met with Sanji's elder sister, Vinsmoke Reiju, and younger brother, Vinsmoke Yonji. Reiju used her ability to heal Luffy and the two groups parted ways afterwards.
The crew arrived at Cacao Island, which is part of Big Mom's territory in an archipelago known as Totto Land. On the island, they encountered Charlotte Pudding, who was none other than Sanji's arranged fiancée. They learned that Sanji had already turned her down and Pudding gave them a map showing a route to Whole Cake Island. The group accepted Pudding's offer to help and they returned to the Sunny unnoticed. However, Pekoms went missing, but the crew decided to continue onward.
Following Pudding's map, they reached Whole Cake Island and the group decided to split up. Pedro and Brook went to steal a copy of Big Mom's Road Poneglyph and left with the Shark Submerge III while the rest of the crew went on to look for Sanji. Luffy, Nami, Chopper, and Carrot were lured into the Seducing Woods by what appeared to be Sanji and they were ambushed by Randolph and Charlotte Brûlée. During the confrontation, Brûlée separated Luffy from his group and captured Carrot with her abilities.
Elsewhere, Bege, his wife, child, and crew were seen on the coast of Whole Cake Island, where he had a tied-up Pekoms at his mercy. Bege then shot Pekoms, letting the mink fall into shark-infested waters.
Later that night, Luffy was on a wild goose chase thanks to Brûlée's scheme, but he eventually reunited with Nami. While talking to one of Big Mom's former husbands, Pound, the two soon came face to face with one of Big Mom's sons and Sweet Commander, Charlotte Cracker, who engaged Luffy in battle as Nami dealt with Brûlée. Luffy struggled in his fight with Cracker, but after listening to Cracker's taunts, Luffy activated Gear Fourth and destroyed his biscuit armor, revealing Cracker's true form. The fight between the two continued on through the whole night with both being exhausted and annoyed with the other's strategies (specifically Cracker creating biscuit soldiers and Luffy devouring them). Eventually, Cracker decided to end the battle but with Nami's help, Luffy overcame Cracker's soldiers and utilized a new version of his Gear Fourth. When Cracker charged at him, Luffy was able to counter Cracker and sent him flying towards Sweet City, where he was found by his family, who prepared to retaliate against Luffy.
With Cracker out of the way, Nami used King Baum, who she forced to follow her orders using a Vivre Card given to her by Lola (one of Big Mom's daughters), to carry her and Luffy out of the Seducing Woods. On the way to the Whole Cake Chateau, they encountered the carriage carrying the Vinsmoke Family. Luffy immediately went to the carriage to get Sanji back. However, Luffy's reunion with Sanji was bitter, as Sanji kicked him away and ordered him to leave the territory as he decided to (falsely) embrace his royal heritage and marry Pudding. Luffy refused to listen to Sanji, prompting Sanji to viciously beat Luffy into submission. After Sanji returned to his family's carriage, Luffy got back up and stated he would not leave without Sanji, even declaring that he would not eat any other food unless it was made by Sanji.
As Luffy stayed in his spot, Big Mom's enraged army arrived to seek revenge for Cracker's defeat. Luffy and Nami fought back against the army and though they were able to take down some of the enemies, they were overwhelmed and taken back to Big Mom's castle.
Luffy and Nami were placed in a book prison and Big Mom spoke to them through a Den Den Mushi. After she interrogated them over Lola's whereabouts, she stated that she would let them go after Sanji pleaded with her to release them but threatened to kill them if they ruin the wedding. Luffy ignored this and once more demanded she return Sanji just before challenging her again as Big Mom laughed at his words. A little later, Pudding visited the two Straw Hats and revealed that she planned to kill Sanji at the wedding and that they were not really leaving alive. After she left, Luffy started trying to break free. Luffy continued his struggles as Charlotte Opera interrogated Nami over Lola's whereabouts, threatening her with torture. Jinbe then appeared and took down Opera before releasing Luffy and Nami.
Now free, Luffy went off to find Sanji by going on a rampage through the castle, taking down many of Big Mom's subordinates. As he was searching, he was suddenly pulled into an infirmary room by Vinsmoke Reiju, who informed Luffy that her brother had become aware of Pudding's true nature but because of the people on the Baratie and the Straw Hats, he decided to stay on the island. Relieved that Sanji knew the truth, Luffy jumped out of the window and after falling onto a building, he decided to return to the spot where he promised to wait for Sanji. Luffy eventually returned to the promised spot, where Sanji also arrived afterwards. After Luffy ate food from the bento box Sanji prepared, Sanji explained why he could not leave, causing Luffy to punch him for not giving the full truth. Sanji tearfully revealed that he wanted to return to the crew but could not leave the island with the chefs of the Baratie being threatened and Big Mom's planning to kill his family, whom he hated but at the same time wanted to save. Understanding, Luffy agreed to help Sanji by ruining the Yonko's tea party.
On the day of wedding, Jinbe contacted Bege to have a meeting with Luffy to form an alliance to defeat Big Mom. After getting in contact with Luffy and Sanji, Jinbe told them of Bege's past before telling them that he intended to assassinate Big Mom at the ceremony. Luffy agreed to go meet Bege after Jinbe advised him to work together with him. A while later, Bege stated to his crew that if Luffy proved uncooperative, he would kill Luffy on the spot. Luffy and Sanji soon arrived at Bege's hideout. After bathing and changing clothes, they reunited with their friends and met with Bege and a disguised Caesar Clown, who was forced to join Bege. Luffy wanted to pay Bege back for hurting Pekoms, causing an argument between the two crews. The quarrel ended when Jinbe reminded them that they shared a common enemy and how they could accomplish their objective of defeating Big Mom if they allied with one another. Reluctantly, the two groups put aside their differences and formed a tense alliance.
After explaining the plan and delegating its steps, Bege hid Luffy's group inside his body while Sanji went along with the wedding. Despite some complications, the alliance succeeded in breaking the portrait of Mother Carmel and causing Big Mom to scream and go into her vulnerable state. However, her screams destroyed the KX Launchers and the escape mirror Bege planned to use. The Big Mom Pirates soon recovered and surrounded the alliance, which took cover inside Bege's Big Father fortress along with the Vinsmoke Family. While Luffy, Sanji, and the Vinsmokes kept Big Mom occupied, Caesar carried Bege's body with the rest of the alliance away. Bege and Caesar were cornered by Charlotte Brûlée while Luffy and the Vinsmokes were subdued. Big Mom prepared to kill them, but the Tamatebako fell to the base of the chateau and exploded, causing the castle to collapse.
After escaping the chateau, the Straw Hats and the Fire Tank Pirates ended their alliance and parted ways. Luffy and his group head back to the Thousand Sunny, but they were pursued by Big Mom, who was tricked by Perospero into thinking that they had a spare wedding cake. As Bege and his crew were fleeing back to their ship, Pudding approached them and convinced Chiffon to help her make a new cake for Big Mom. After Pudding and Chiffon recruited Sanji to help as well and took him to Cacao Island, the Straw Hats made it back to their ship, but found Katakuri and Perospero there. During the ensuing scuffle, Pedro sacrificed himself by engulfing Perospero in a suicidal explosion and Luffy dragged Katakuri into the Mirro-World, enabling the remaining group on the Sunny to escape Whole Cake Island with a Coup de Burst.
Bege and his crew returned to their ship, the Nostra Castello, and they escaped Whole Cake Island as well. They then head for Cacao Island to pick up Chiffon. As they approached the front of the harbor of Cacao Island, they were besieged by Tarteships. They were then contacted by Oven, who was holding Chiffon hostage to force Bege to surrender. Once they were close enough to the harbor, Bege shot Oven in the face and freed Chiffon from his clutches. Revealing that his ship can travel on land, Bege rescued the cake-baking team and acquired the cake during the scuffle against Oven's forces. Oven tried to prevent their escape by boiling the sea, but he was attacked by Pound, distracting him long enough for Bege's ship to get away.
Inside the Mirro-World, Luffy was repeatedly overpowered by Katakuri. The Sweet Commander then tried to end the fight early to get to his snack time, which allowed Luffy to discover his darkest secret. As Katakuri lost his composure, Luffy managed to land a hit on him. Luffy then activated his Gear Fourth and gained the upper hand against Katakuri. However, Katakuri regained his composure and Luffy lost the advantage. When his Gear Fourth form wore off, Luffy retreated and took Brûlée through a mirror to Nuts Island, where he was pursued by Big Mom. Luffy escaped back into the Mirro-World and traveled from island to island. After Luffy regained his strength, he clashed with Katakuri once more. Fearing Luffy's increasing potential, Katakuri tried to end the fight quickly. Thanks to Flampe's meddling, Katakuri dealt a devastating blow to Luffy. After finding out about Flampe's interference, Katakuri briefly paused the fight to berate his sister. Luffy and Katakuri proceeded to knock out Flampe and her subordinates with Haoshoku Haki before resuming their battle.
Back at the Nostra Castello, the chefs finally completed the substitute wedding cake. Bege's ship later approached the Thousand Sunny, which was under heavy pursuit by Big Mom and her fleet. After Sanji and Pudding left the cake in Bege's hands and went to the Sunny, Bege and the Fire Tank Pirates lured Big Mom and part of her crew away from chasing the Straw Hats and sailed for Liqueur Island.
- Oda drew of ten of the Supernovas (leaving out Zoro) after the two-year timeskip. Blackbeard is also left out of such a depiction.
- Seven members on the cover of the disc One Piece Nippon Judan! 47 Cruise CD: Monkey D. Luffy (after timeskip), Trafalgar D. Water Law (after timeskip), Basil Hawkins (after timeskip), Roronoa Zoro (after timeskip), Jewelry Bonney (before timeskip), Urouge and Marshall D. Teach.
- Before the timeskip, the combined bounties of the Eleven Supernovas equal to 2,152,000,000, the highest combined amount of any known group. It is currently unknown what it is post-timeskip. With the information revealed so far, the collective amount is at 3,430,000,000.
- All members except for Blackbeard have known bounties.
- Roronoa Zoro and Killer are the only members in the group who are not captains. They are also the only ones who do not have a Devil Fruit.
- The term "Supernova" can also be used for any rookie who earned a bounty of over 100,000,000, not just restricted to the eleven, as Bartolomeo, Cavendish, Caribou and Coribou was called as such.
- Four members of the Supernovas have bounties which tie: Luffy and Law at 500,000,000 each and Hawkins and Zoro at 320,000,000 each.
- Three members are confirmed D carriers: Monkey D. Luffy, Marshall D. Teach, and Trafalgar D. Water Law.
- Two members served as Shichibukai, but later gave up or lost the title: Marshall D. Teach and Trafalgar D. Water Law.
- Four members are known to be able to use Busoshoku Haki: Monkey D. Luffy, Trafalgar D. Water Law, Roronoa Zoro, and X Drake.
- Two members are known to be able to use Kenbunshoku Haki: Monkey D. Luffy and Roronoa Zoro.
- Monkey D. Luffy is the only known member to able to use all three types of Haki.
- The members who are captains possess forces of the three different types of Devil Fruits: X Drake has the power of Zoan, Marshall D. Teach has both Paramecia and Logia, and the rest have Paramecia.
- Marshall D. Teach is the only Yonko in the group.
- Jewelry Bonney is the only female member.
- Monkey D. Luffy and Marshall D. Teach are the only known members who have a Grand Fleet.
- Capone Bege is the only known member to have a spouse and child.
- Each member came from different parts of the sea: Monkey D. Luffy and Roronoa Zoro are from East Blue; Capone Bege is from West Blue; Jewelry Bonney, Eustass Kid, and Killer are from South Blue; Basil Hawkins, X Drake, and Trafalgar D. Water Law are from North Blue; Scratchmen Apoo from the Grand Line (Longarm Tribe); and Urouge from Sky Island. Marshall D. Teach is the only member whose sea of origin is unknown.
- All of the Eleven Supernovas are known to be involved with at least one Yonko:
- Monkey D. Luffy looks up to Shanks as a role model and personal hero, allied himself with the Whitebeard Pirates in the Battle of Marineford, and wishes to dethrone Kaido and Big Mom. He despises Blackbeard for causing the conflict that led to his brother Portgas D. Ace's death and attacking Baltigo, the home of his other brother Sabo and father Monkey D. Dragon.
- Roronoa Zoro, as a member of Luffy's crew, is part of the alliance to defeat Kaido, and most likely receives an amount of anger from the latter and Big Mom, due to Luffy's behavior on Fishman Island and Dressrosa. He also considers Blackbeard an enemy.
- Trafalgar Law made an alliance with the Straw Hat Pirates specifically to take down Kaido, though as a pretext toward his real motive of eliminating Donquixote Doflamingo, hoping to anger Kaido into killing Doflamingo. However, after the events on Dressrosa he now aims to take down Kaido with the rest of the Ninja-Pirate-Mink-Samurai Alliance. He might also be on Big Mom's radar, as when she asked Caesar why he wasn't able to complete his experiments despite her orders, he accuses Luffy and Law of having interfered.
- Eustass Kid invaded Big Mom's territory during the timeskip and later attacked two of her crew's ships. He formed an alliance with Scratchmen Apoo and Basil Hawkins in an attempt to dethrone Shanks. After unknown circumstances involving Kaido after his failed suicide attempt, Kid seemingly fought Kaido, but was badly defeated and imprisoned. Kid was later mentioned by Kaido when the Yonko jokingly told him to pass a message along to Luffy and Law that they should run for their lives after interfering with his plans.
- Killer is part of Kid's crew and took part in his actions against Big Mom, and in the Kid-On Air-Hawkins alliance. After Kid was defeated by Kaido and Apoo joined Kaido's forces, Killer's current affiliation is unknown.
- Scratchmen Apoo invaded Big Mom's territory during the timeskip, and later joined Kid's alliance in an attempt to dethrone Shanks, and was approached by Kaido after a failed suicide attempt. After unknown circumstances, Scratchmen Apoo became a subordinate of Kaido.
- Basil Hawkins joined Kid's alliance in an attempt to dethrone Shanks, and was approached by Kaido after a failed suicide attempt. After Kid's defeat and Apoo having joined Kaido's forces, his current affiliation is unknown.
- Jewelry Bonney was seen crying after Whitebeard's death, and was later captured by Blackbeard, though she managed to escape custody of the Marines after being captured by Akainu.
- Capone Bege was once a subordinate and son in-law of Big Mom after he invaded her territory during the timeskip. He married her daughter, Charlotte Chiffon. However, he is actually plotting against her in order to bring her down and thus destabilize the world's structure of power.
- X Drake, following the Whitebeard War, attacked an island being protected by Kaido's subordinate "Iron Boy" Scotch in order to get the Yonko's attention. Post-timeskip, he is shown to have also become one of Kaido's subordinates.
- Urouge invaded Big Mom's territory during the timeskip and defeated one of her Four Sweet Commanders, angering her. He was later shown talking to Kaido about his motives for suicide.
- Capone Bege committed some actions similar to Trafalgar D. Water Law:
- Meaning, he is the second member of the Worst Generation whose Devil Fruit is named after the timeskip.
- He is the second person to go in a Pirate Alliance with the Straw Hat Pirates to take down a Yonko.
- He is the second person after Law to do harm to the Straw Hat Pirates before meeting Luffy himself.
- He is the second person after Law to not take the words of their victims (Vergo and Pekoms) seriously, which resulted in them being cornered and put in danger.
- Monkey D. Luffy, Marshall D. Teach, and Trafalgar D. Water Law have some similarities:
- They are the only captains of the Worst Generation who are referred by their epithet instead of their actual name to those who do not personally know them.
- They are the only known members who carries the "D" name that is publicly known by everyone.
- They are the only ones whose known goal is to become Pirate King and find the One Piece.
- In 4 Volume SBS, Oda revealed Monkey D. Luffy and Roronoa Zoro's age along with the rest two of Straw Hat Pirates, Nami and Usopp, and one of Yonko, Shanks, and in 68 Volume SBS have with the rest of Supernovas. In 58 Volume SBS, Marshall D. Teach's age was revealed along with the rest of Shichibukai.
- In 64 Volume SBS, Oda drew the Eleven Supernovas (except Monkey D. Luffy and Roronoa Zoro) as children. Blackbeard was drawn as a child along with the rest of Shichibukai in previous volume SBS.
- In 72 Volume SBS, Oda drew the Eleven Supernovas (except Monkey D. Luffy and Roronoa Zoro) as opposite gender. Blackbeard was drawn as a female along with the rest of Shichibukai in 76 Volume SBS.
- In 82 Volume SBS, Oda revealed hobbies of all pirates of this group.
- Aside from Killer and Luffy, all the others were named after real life pirates or privateers. Oda confirmed this in each of SBS:
- While Oda did not intend it at the time, Luffy has a similar naval term via a "Luff". This leaves Killer as the only one whose name has no link at all to any sea-based term or name, and Oda admitted in an 52 Volume SBS that given him such name out of his laziness.
- Supernova - Wikipedia article on the special event these pirates are named after.