The Tamatebako is a box that is said to contain the power to make anyone grow older. It was in the possession of the royal family of Fishman Island and was stored in the treasure room of Ryugu Palace. It was later given to the Big Mom Pirates.
Vander Decken IX once planned to use the box to make a young Shirahoshi older in order to have her age match his so that he could marry her. However, Decken abandoned the plan when he learned that there was no way for him to enter the palace. It was first mentioned by the Flying Pirates in Jinbe's flashback.
Fishman Island ArcEdit
After the defeat of Hody and Decken, the soldiers discover that all the palace treasures and the Tamatebako, a national treasure, had been stolen.
It is later revealed that the Tamatebako was also rumored to "make one as strong as a thousand men". Both of these rumors are true, as the box contained the Energy Steroid, which gives the user incredible strength, but if heavily abused, it ages them horribly.
The Minister of the Right later told Neptune that he filled the box with bombs that will explode if the box is opened. He did this as a security measure since the contents of the box were stolen ten years ago. The contents were stolen by Hody Jones and were mass produced by Zeo. They were primarily used to bolster the strength of the New Fishman Pirates, and upon seeing the officers' heavily aged appearances, Neptune came to realize that Hody was the thief of the contents. The box was later stolen by Caribou during the coup and was recovered by the Straw Hats. Luffy gave it to the officers of the Big Mom Pirates, Pekoms and Tamago, who later left with the box and the rest of the palace treasure.
Whole Cake Island ArcEdit
Sometime later, the box went into Big Mom's possession and she planned to open it during Sanji and Pudding's wedding. Knowing it is the national treasure of Fishman Island, Big Mom was overly excited and decided to forget all the candy that the island failed to deliver.
After Big Mom's tea party began, the Tamatebako appeared at the venue, where the guests marveled at it. During the chaos caused by the Sanji Retrieval Team, Du Feld attempted to open it, but Big Mom's scream caused the chest to be blown out of the Whole Cake Chateau.
- The Tamatebako is the mystical box in the legend of Urashima Tarō (a well known Japanese legend), where the titular character was gifted the box by Otohime upon leaving the Ryūgū-jō, but was told never to open the box. Urashima, upon returning to the surface world, realized that 300 years had passed, and in depression and curiosity, he opened the box to have a white smoke envelop him, which was Urashima's age that Otohime stored inside the box; Urashima instantly grew 300 years old.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Chapter 861 (p. 7), The actual Tamatebako box is shown to the underworld emperors at Big Mom's tea party.
- ↑ One Piece Anime — Episode 572, A rendering of the Tamatebako seen in Minister of the Right's explanation.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 63 Chapter 626 and Episode 546, Decken and the Flying Pirates discuss the Tamatebako.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 66 Chapter 648 and Episode 568, Soldiers find the Tamatebako, along with other treasures, gone.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 66 Chapter 650 and Episode 570, New Fishman Pirates aged by Energy Steroids stolen from the Tamatebako.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 66 Chapter 652 and Episode 572, The Minister of Right reveals that the Tamatebako will explode when opened.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 84 Chapter 847 (p. 12), A rendering of the Tamatebako seen in Big Mom's speech.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Chapter 869.