|The following article has no references to the official sources.|
|Japanese Name:||麦わら帽子 or 麦わら|
|Romanized Name:||Mugiwara-Bōshi or Mugiwara|
|Official English Name:||Straw Hat|
|First Appearance:||Chapter 1; Episode 1|
A Straw Hat can refer to any brimmed hat that is woven out of straw. This hat is designed to protect the head from the sun, as well as protect against heatstroke. There are several styles of straw hats, but all of them are made of woven straw. Many of these hats are formed in a similar way to felt hats; they are softened by steam or by submersion in hot water, and then formed by hand or over a block. Finer and more expensive straw hats have a tighter and more consistent weave. Since it takes much more time to weave a larger hat than a smaller one, larger hats are more expensive.
Monkey D. LuffyEdit
In the manga and anime One Piece, Monkey D. Luffy's straw hat is the main symbol of the entire series and is the origin of his nickname "Straw Hat Luffy." His straw hat was given to him by his idol, Red Hair Shanks when he was a kid, and he promised to give the hat back to him once he becomes a great pirate (or in other words, the Pirate King). Much later, during the Straw Hat Pirates' departure for Fishman Island, it was revealed by Silvers Rayleigh that this straw hat originally belonged to Gol D. Roger.
Although Luffy's straw hat is his treasure, he is seen without it on occasion. This is usually because he does not want anything bad to happen to it, in which case he usually gives it to another member of his crew for safekeeping. It has been damaged twice in the manga canon. The first time it was damaged by Buggy when he was fighting Luffy, and further spat on it when he learned it was Shanks'. After the fight, Nami repaired it for him. However, Luffy was overjoyed that Nami had repaired it, he poked it several times and accidentally made another hole in the repair work, causing Nami to hit him with the sharp end of the needle since it had been only a temporary repair; nevertheless, she repaired it again.
During the Alabasta Arc, when Ace leaves the Straw Hats and Vivi, he gives Luffy a "blank piece of white paper" (Vivre Card). After saving it from getting eaten by Eyelashes, Nami sews it into the inside of the red band around the circumference of his hat.
Luffy's hat fell off when Jinbe, who was carrying him, was struck by Admiral Akainu. As Luffy was mentally shattered from his brother's death, he did not notice, nor did Jinbe, who was occupied with dealing with the Admiral. After Shanks appeared, the straw hat was reunited with its old owner after over ten years. Shanks convinces Buggy to return the straw hat to Luffy shortly after, and ended up in Trafalgar Law's temporary care. It was then handed over to Silvers Rayleigh, who in turn returned the straw hat to Luffy after he recovered. Prior to his training with Rayleigh at Rusukaina island, Luffy set aside the hat on the island's only safe location. He eventually picked it back up after the training is over.
Luffy's straw hat has somehow managed to survive through all his battles even when it logically could not possibly have done so, such as when he was poisoned by Magellan and was literally dissolving.
- In the fourth movie, Gasparde pierced a giant hole in Luffy's hat.
- In the eleventh movie, Luffy's hat was shot twice by a marine officer.
- In the twelfth movie, Zephyr took Luffy's hat after defeating him a second time, and placed it atop of a Dyna Stone canister, intending to destroy it.
- In One Piece: Romance Dawn Story it was cut by Silk and stamped upon by Galley.
Concludes non-canon section.
The kasa (conical straw hat) made by Ace was given to Oars Jr. as he believed it would help the giant since he was so close to the sun. Oars Jr. was so moved by this gift, he fought with all of his strength to save Ace during the Whitebeard War.
Demaro Black, in a poor attempt to impersonate Luffy, also wears a straw hat. However, his was different by being frayed and unkempt, with a flat top rather than a domed one and having a striped band around its circumference. It fell off when Sentomaru smashed him on the head.
Fishman Island ChildrenEdit
After Luffy and his crew defeated the New Fishman Pirates and saved Fishman Island, children wanted to get straw hats so they could play hero. Despite the adults saying that straw hats can only be bought on the surface, Jinbe states that he will pick some up for them.
- The color of Luffy's hat is brighter in the anime, although there was a little change in Impel Down Arc/Marineford Arc, but it was later changed to the original scheme in the Post-War Arc.
- Throughout the series, the scars left by Buggy on the hat can be seen.
- In the game Pirates of Black Cove, one of the unique items that can be acquired is Luffy's straw hat, which lowers the damage one receives in battle by a little bit.
- In the game King's Bounty: The Legend, and in its sequels a player can acquire a similar straw hat with red ribbon. It boosts the leadership of the hero. It was confirmed as an Easter Egg with a nod to One Piece in the official forums by a representative of developers.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 1 and Episode 1, The Straw Hat is seen.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 18 Chapter 157 and Episode 101, Ace gives Luffy his Vivre Card.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 579 and Episode 489, The straw hat and Shanks reunite.