|Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl|
|Japanese Name:||サラサラの実 モデル"アホロートル"|
|Romanized Name:||Sara Sara no Mi: Moderu Ahorōtoru|
|English Name:||Sala-Sala Fruit, Axolotl Model|
|Debut:||Chapter 668; Episode 594 (Usage)
Chapter 676; Episode 602 (Fruit)
The Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl is a Zoan-type Devil Fruit that allows its user to turn into an axolotl hybrid and a full axolotl at will. "Sara" is short for Salamander (サラマンダー Saramandā?). It was "eaten" by Smiley, but with his death the fruit has returned into circulation.
The Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl comes in the form of an apple, as it was reborn amongst a bag of apples nearby Smiley's death site. It is a rather small, round fruit, with a swirl pattern. A little curly stem grows out of the top.
Strengths and WeaknessesEdit
Due to it being a Zoan type fruit, the Sara Sara no Mi gives the once-inanimate user sentience and allows it to move, actions that would normally be impossible for Smiley, who is little more than a blob of condensed gas.
Being a Devil Fruit power, it grants the user it created the standard weaknesses of that of a Devil Fruit; this also creates an instinctive fear of water for Smiley, which is ironic, since real-life axolotls are gilled amphibians that need water to live.
Smiley is seen using its powers for movement and transforming into an alternate form that suits the situation, such as after Kin'emon slashed off globs of Smiley. Its sentience is also preserved within pieces the main body may separate from itself, as seen when Smiley launched over many smaller pieces of itself across the lake of Punk Hazard, all of which displayed the same degree of independent thought and reacting to their surroundings as the main body would have.
One year after the Punk Hazard Incident, when Caesar returned there after it had been destroyed, he created Smiley by condensing the H2S gas from the experiment into a slime form and by "feeding" it the Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl.
Punk Hazard ArcEdit
After Smiley dies due to a candy it consumed, the Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl is seen being reformed in a nearby apple.
- An Axolotl is a kind of salamander native to a few lakes in central Mexico. Its name means "water monster" in the Nahuatl language.
- This is the first Zoan-type fruit based on an amphibious species, which is an oddity given that Devil Fruit users have a weakness towards water. This model is particularly odd since, unless they are artificially induced to undergo metamorphosis, axolotls remain aquatic their whole lives.
- It is also the first Devil Fruit seen to be reborn after the user died, being reformed out of a normal fruit as a base. However, this is only the third Devil Fruit whose user died.
- The fruit's name was not revealed in the anime, because the adaptation of Chapter 673 did not show Smiley's infobox.
- An Axolotl has the ability to regenerate limbs. It was never (and possibly yet to be) shown nor proven the user could exhibit this ability.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 668 and Episode 594, Smiley's debut marks the fruit's debut.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 676 (p. 8) and Episode 602, the Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl reborn amongst apples after Smiley's death.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 One Piece Manga — Vol. 68 Chapter 673 (p. 12), the fruit's name is revealed.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 670 (p. 10) and Episode 596, Caesar states that the Slime dislikes water.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 672 (p. 18) and Episode 598, Kin'emon cuts pieces of Smiley
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 670 and Episode 596, Smiley shoots pieces of its main body over the water
- Axolotl - Wikipedia article about the animal.
- Apple - Wikipedia article about the actual fruit, the Devil Fruit is shaped after.