|First Appearance:||Chapter 103; Episode 62|
As a woman, in most real world cultures, a princess is the last person within the immediate family who is in line for the throne. If the King dies or retires without having a male heir, the princess will become the ruler and take over as queen. She usually loses her rule if she acquires a husband, since being a man, he takes over as the ruler. She can also become queen if she marries a man who either is or will become king himself.
Princesses, because of their status, can be subjected to a number of diplomatic solutions. A new king who has conquered a country may marry the eldest princess of the previous ruling family. This finalizes his right to the kingdom both with the people of the country and the family of the princess, as the family still has its ties to leadership. This also ensures all possible sons the princess may have will be his heirs and not be rivals to his own kingship. Another scenario is granting her hand in marriage as part of a peace treaty or an offering of alliance to another opposing force.
Currently, only five princesses made an appearance in One Piece. The most notable princess is Nefertari Vivi of Alabasta who traveled with the Straw Hat Pirates during the Alabasta Saga. Vivi does not follow the real world tradition of a princess in many ways, in the sense she can be more like a commoner at times than royalty. The second prominent princess is Shirahoshi of Ryugu Kingdom, who is also considered to be the Mermaid Princess, a legendary figure who can summon Sea Kings. Manshelly is the princess of Tontatta Kingdom, and accordingly, she is spoiled, cruel and selfish, though still a comrade for her people to want to save her. Rebecca is the lost princess of the Riku royal family of Dressrosa that was overthrown by Doflamingo and is now forced to be a gladiator. Hatchan met the Goldfish Princess of seafloor stroll.
|Nefertari Vivi||Goldfish Princess||Shirahoshi||Manshelly|
- Nefertari Vivi is the princess of the Alabasta Kingdom.
- Goldfish Princess is the princess of the Goldfish Kingdom.
- Shirahoshi is the princess of the Ryugu Kingdom.
- Manshelly is the princess of the Tontatta Kingdom.
- The previous Poseidon, who was the first known "Mermaid Princess" of Ryugu Kingdom.
- Viola is the daughter of king Riku Dold III and a princess of Dressrosa.
- Rebecca is the lost princess of the fallen Riku royal family of Dressrosa.
Princess as an EpithetEdit
- Perona: Ghost Princess
- Boa Hancock: Snake Princess
- Shirahoshi: Mermaid Princess
- Rebecca: Phantom Princess
- Princess - Wikipedia article about the Princess title.