Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In Greece, the manga is being distributed in its English translation by Viz Media. The Greek dub of the anime aired on the television station Alter Channel under the name "Ντρέηκ, το Κυνήγι του Θησαυρού" (Drake, the Hunting of the Treasure) and was dubbed by Audio Visual. It first aired in 14 April 2002 but it stopped at Episode 105, during the Alabasta Saga.
The show was broadcasted uncut, but changed many names of characters and locations and had many errors, such as the destination of the Straw Hats being the Red Line instead of Raftel. Also, as in many dubs, the characters' attacks were in Greek.
The show used a Greek adaptation of the first opening "We Are" featuring lyrics that were not related to the Japanese version and a female singer.
In 2003, the ΕΣΡ (Greek Television Council) decided that the events shown on Episode 28 during the fight between Luffy and Don Krieg were highly inappropriate for the minors watching the show. As a result, an order was issued for the show to be cancelled, since it was considered not suitable for children due to the amount of violence and fierce battles it contained. Eventually, the series stopped at Episode 105 during the Alabasta Arc.
|Original Name||Changed Name|
|Monkey D. Luffy||Ντρέηκ (Drake)|
|Roronoa Zoro||Μπλακ Τζακ (Blackjack)|
|Tony Tony Chopper||Μπίλι (Billy)|
|Miss All-Sunday||Δεσποινίς Ντόλυ (Miss Dolly)|
|Gol D. Roger||
Χρυσός Ρότζερ (Gold Roger)
Χρυσοδάχτυλος Ρότζερ (Goldfinger Roger)
|Mohji||Θηριοδαμαστής Άγριων Ζώων (Tamer of Wild Animals)|
|Kuro||Μαύρος Πητ (Black Pete)|
|Don Krieg||Δον Σαμ (Don Sam)|
|Dracule Mihawk||Γεράκι (Hawk)|
|Nezumi||Ναύαρχος το Ποντίκι (Admiral Mouse)|
|Smoker||Καπετάν Καπνός (Captain Smoke)|
|Mr. 9||Χούλιο (Julio)|
|Mr. 3||Πράκτορας 3 (Agent 3)|
|Miss Goldenweek||Δεσποινίς Χάιντι (Miss Heidi)|
Πράκτορας 0 (Agent 0)
Κύριος Κροκόδειλος (Mr. Crocodile)
|Mr. 2 Bon Kurei||Πράκτορας 2 (Agent 2)|
|Portgas D. Ace||Έις Φωτιά (Ace Fire)|
- The Grand Line is mainly called Μεγάλη Γραμμή (Big Line).
- The Gomu Gomu no Mi is changed to Το Φρούτο του Λαστιχένιου Δέντρου (The Fruit of the Rubber Tree). Luffy's attacks are translated in Greek so "Gomu Gomu no Pistol" becomes "Λαστιχένιο Πιστόλι" (Rubber Pistol) and "Gomu Gomu no Rocket" becomes "Λαστιχένια Ρουκέτα" (Rubber Rocket), as examples.
- The Bara Bara no Mi is called Το Φρούτο του Διαμελισμού (The Fruit of Dismemberment).
- The Den Den Mushi is simply called Σαλιγκάρι (Snail).
- The term Shichibukai is changed to Οι Βασιλιάδες των Γενναίων των Επτά Θαλασσών (The Kings of the Brave of the Seven Seas).
- The Log Pose is called Δρομόμετρο (Log).
- The Eternal Pose is either called Αιώνιο Δρομόμετρο (Eternal Log) or Σταθερό Δρομόμετρο (Steady Log).
- The Nyanban Brothers are called Αδέρφια Νάιμπαν (Nayban Brothers).
- Elbaf is changed to Έραφ (Eraf).
|Monkey D. Luffy||Βούλα Κώστα (Voula Kosta)|
|Roronoa Zoro||Γιάννης Στεφόπουλος (Yannis Stefopoulos)|
|Nami||Σοφία Καψαμπέλη (Sofia Kapsampeli)|
|Usopp||Τηλέμαχος Κρεβάικας (Telemachus Krevaikas)|
|Sanji||Κωνσταντίνος Κακανάς (Konstantinos Kakanas)|
Dub and Translation ErrorsEdit
There were some mistakes in the Greek dub that were mainly caused by the changing of many names.
- The crew does not intend to go to Raftel, but to the Red Line instead. It is described by Coby that the town where Roger hid the treasure is in the middle of the Great Continent Red Line that separates the world's two biggest oceans and that the Grand Line is the only way for someone to go there.
- Due to the fact that Luffy's name was changed into Drake, his name does not have the characteristic "D." It is not known whether that was done intentionally and there was a plan to rectify it as the series moved on.
- Nezumi was mistakenly dubbed as Admiral Mouse (Ναύαρχος το Ποντίκι), even though he is a Captain.
- One Piece, as a term, is never mentioned. The legendary treasure is just simply called as "The biggest treasure in the world" (Ο Μεγαλύτερος Θησαυρός του Κόσμου).
- The characters Tamanegi and Patty share the same changed name, which is Τόμυ (Tommy).
- In the Greek dub, the characters' epithets were not frequently mentioned. Buggy was called "Immortal Buggy" (Αθάνατος Μπάγκι).
The first opening "We Are" was adapted into Greek and featured lyrics that were not related to the Japanese version.
|Greek Lyrics||English Translation|
|Ελάτε σε μια περιπέτεια δυνατή||Come on a strong adventure|
|με τον Ντρεήκ και τους φίλους του μαζί.||with Drake and his friends.|
|Θάλασσες και πέλαγα σε πλοίο πειρατικό||Seas and offsprings in a pirate ship|
όλοι θα διασχίσουμε με φίλο τον καιρό.
|we are all gonna cross with weather as a friend.|
|Ο Ντρέηκ ο καπετάνιος μας!||Our Captain Drake!|
|Σημαία Πειρατική!||Jolly Roger!|
|Κι ο στόχος μας να φτάσουμε στην Κόκκινη Γραμμή.||And our purpose to arrive at the Red Line.|
|Τους κακόυς να νικάμε||To beat the bad guys|
|να νικάμε στη στιγμή,||to beat (them) at once,|
|με μυαλό και με δύναμη μαζί.||with (our) mind and with power, too.|
|Καπετάνιε Ντρέηκ!||Captain Drake!|
|Στο κυνήγι του θησαυρού||In the hunting of the treasure|
|πάμε τώρα παιδιά!||we go now, guys!|
|Το καράβι πλέει σε άγνωστα νερά.||The ship floats on unknown waters.|
|Μα ο Ντρέηκ δεν φοβάται.||But Drake isn't afraid.|
|Είναι τολμηρός!||He is bold!|
|Ντρέηκ! Ντρέηκ! Ντρεήκ!||Drake! Drake! Drake!|