Nezumi has the appearance of a rat ("nezumi" is Japanese for both "mouse" and "rat"). He has whiskers, and rat ears attached to his marine cap. He also has brown hair. Unlike other Marines he has a greyish-blue button up coat that goes down to his feet, with a black belt and blue shoulder pads.
His manners matches that of his appearance, in that he is rodent-like in every sense of the phrase. He is arrogant, cowardly, and decidedly corrupt. He is also greedy, as he is willing to look the other way when Arlong took over Coco Village when Arlong bribed him with Nami's treasure. He utilizes his military rank to intimidate his enemies and expects civilians to fully cooperate with him, regardless of his actions. When overpowered, he would cower and comply in fear, only to spout threats and revenge when he reaches a good distance.
Like other characters in One Piece, he has a unique laugh: "Chi chi chi chi".
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
As a Marine Captain and head of the 16th Branch, Nezumi has authority over the base and lower-ranking subordinates. However, he relies mainly on his rank and soldiers to intimidate his enemies and civilians. He has little to no physical combat capabilities himself, as he, and his entire unit, were easily beaten up by Roronoa Zoro, who was critically wounded and bleeding at the time. Nami easily send him flying through the air and skipping through water, and using simplistic physical force, she easily coerced him to use his own money to repair the damage that Arlong inflicted, and return her money; Nezumi was practically wailing for mercy when he was stared down at by the Cocoyasi Villagers and Straw Hat Pirates, only making death threats when he swam away to a fair distance, showing little to no mental fortitude.
Arlong Park ArcEdit
Nezumi accepted bribes from Arlong in exchange for keeping Arlong's crew out of Marine jurisdiction. Acting on a tip from Arlong, he uncovered the treasure that Nami had been hoarding in order to buy back Cocoyasi Village, and confiscates it from her.
Once Arlong was defeated, Nezumi attempted to take all the glory from the Straw Hat Pirates, as well as the money from Arlong's stores, but was quickly defeated, along with the Marines he brought with him, by Zoro. Then Nami quickly attacked him with her staff for destroying the orange grove and shooting Nojiko. She then forced him to return the stolen money, rebuild Gosa Village, and clean up all the mess left over from Arlong's reign.
Humiliated and injured, he quickly retreated to a fair distance before swearing revenge against Luffy, and was last seen reporting to his superiors on the incident, prompting the Marines to assign Luffy with his first bounty. However, he was not pleased with the wanted poster picture, as he thought it did not make Luffy look dangerous.
- One Piece: Become the Pirate King!
- Aim! The King of Berry
- Dragon Dream!
- One Piece (Game Boy Advance)
- His Marine code is 00733.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 8 Chapter 69 (p. 12) and Episode 31, Nezumi makes his debut.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 8 Chapter 69 (p. 15) and Episode 31, Hatchan mocks Nezumi's look due to his mouce face.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 8 Chapter 69 (p. 12-14) and Episode 31, Nezumi is in good terms with Arlong.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 94 and Episode 43, Nezumi attempts to take what he can out of Arlong's defeat and reports Luffy.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 8 Chapter 69 (p. 12-16) and Episode 31, Nezumi is seen being bribed by Arlong.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 9 Chapter 80.