| Ahoy! This here is the 174th Featured Article.
"Thriller Bark" has been featured, meaning it was chosen as an article of interest.
|Romanized Name:||Surirā Bāku|
|English Name:||Thriller Bark|
|First Appearance:||Chapter 443; Episode 338|
- The subject of this article is sometimes referred to as "Thriller Barque", "Thriller Park", "Thriller Burke" or "Thrillerberg".
Thriller Bark is a giant ship currently located on the Florian Triangle. As revealed by Brook, it used to be located in the West Blue. It was converted into a pirate ship, the world's largest, and is owned by the former Shichibukai, Gekko Moriah. The ship was heavily damaged by Moriah's and Kuma's attacks during the battle against the Straw Hat Pirates, and, after Moriah's defeat, was abandoned. Thriller Bark is the main setting of the Thriller Bark Arc, as well as the ninth island in Paradise that the Straw Hat Pirates visited.
- Major characters: Gekko Moriah, Hogback, Perona, Absalom, Lola, Oars, Brook.
- Population: Over 1,000 people and zombies (currently empty)
- Type of island: a floating island-ship; originally from the West Blue
- Island theme: Horror
- Regional inspiration: Transylvania
Landmarks and ArchitectureEdit
The island is surrounded by a huge outer wall that goes around the ship, with a gate resembling a giant mouth that opens and closes. There are four separate chains that connect from the wall to the mast above the mansion. The island has an old broken inner stone wall encircling it with towers and a moat. There is a mansion in the middle of the island, surrounded by an apparently dead forest. The entire ship somewhat resembles the stereotypical scenery in vampire or horror movies, such as Dracula or Frankenstein.
The forest that covers most of the island; many shadowless people who were stuck in Thriller Bark chose to hide there from the sun. Usopp, Nami and Chopper hid in the forest from the Cerberus and were met by Hildon. Luffy also encountered the Rolling Pirates in this forest. The forest is also populated by many strange zombies Dr. Hogback created.
Thriller Bark GraveyardEdit
A graveyard beyond the forest. Most, if not all, of the graves there are occupied by hidden zombies created by Dr. Hogback. These zombies will attack intruders, but are not particularly strong. After Moriah's defeat and the fall of Thriller Bark, a monument to the Rumbar Pirates is erected (built by Franky and Usopp, flowers by Chopper) with their remains buried here, as a testament to Brook's long-dead crewmen.
Thriller Bark MansionEdit
A huge mansion that resembles a gothic-style cathedral. Hogback lived here until Moriah was defeated.
The large tower in the middle of Thriller Bark is actually the mast of the ship, as well as a mansion. This is where Gekko Moriah resided. The giant freezer where Oars was kept in stasis is also located here.
Within Hogback's mansion is his laboratory, and it was here that Hogback created his zombies with the shadows given to him by Gekko Moriah.
Perona's Wonder GardenEdit
A little garden that sits on a bridge that connects the Thriller Bark Mansion to the Mast Mansion, covered with trees, plants and flowers. This bridge is owned by Perona, and is inhabited by most of her wild zombies. Usopp, Nami and Chopper awoke there, after being knocked out by Ryuma. During the battle with Oars, the bridge was destroyed.
Within the Mast Mansion is Perona's room. This room is large and decorated in a similar fashion to that of a princess, suiting Perona's epithet as "Ghost Princess".
Inhabitants of Thriller BarkEdit
|Oars (900)||Ryuma||Victoria Cindry||Hildon (21)||Lola|
|Bao||Gyoro||Nin|| Spider Mice
(24 and 196)
|Gallant Hippo (28)|
|Jack in the Box (256)||Lion-Cow (37)|
|Zombie 27||Zombie 28||Zombie 29||Zombie 31||Zombie 36|
|Zombie 36||Zombie 38||Zombie 38||Zombie 44||Zombie 52|
|Zombie 52||Zombie 55||Zombie 61||Zombie 63||Zombie 69|
|Zombie 83||Zombie 95||Zombie 96||Zombie 105||Zombie 115|
|Zombie 128||Zombie 136||Zombie 151||Zombie 153||Zombie 154|
|Zombie 169||Zombie 193||Zombie 204||Zombie 207||Zombie 217|
|Zombie 260||Zombie 329||Zombie 353||Zombie 401||Zombie 405|
|Zombie 408||Zombie 409||Zombie 413||Zombie 415||Zombie 417|
|Zombie 420||Zombie 422||Zombie 426||Zombie 437||Zombie 466|
|Zombie 468||Zombie 476||Zombie 483||Zombie 522||Zombie 518|
|Zombie 522||Zombie 524||Zombie 529||Zombie 563||Zombie 578|
|Zombie 581||Zombie 584||Zombie 597||Zombie 606||Zombie 616|
|Zombie 620||Zombie 621||Zombie 629||Zombie 638|| Zombies
655 and 754
|Zombie 660||Zombie 687||Zombie 691||Zombie 730||Zombie 741|
|Zombie 767||Zombie 818||Zombie 820||Zombie 824||Zombie 831|
|Zombie 847||Zombie 860||Zombie 876||Zombie 883||Zombie 889|
- Mysterious Four (四怪人 Yonkaijin?): the four humans who rule Thriller Bark. They are Gekko Moriah, Hogback, Absalom, and Perona.
- General Zombie: Once legendary figures, now commanders of the rest of the zombies. They are under the command of Absalom.
- Surprise Zombie: Zombies that disguise themselves as everyday objects to scare the enemies.
- Soldier Zombie: Common grunt zombies for combat.
- Wild Zombie: Wild animal zombies with high level strength. They are under the command of Perona.
- Special Zombie: A unique kind of zombie that is stronger than General Zombies. Oars was the only one of its kind.
- Spider Mice: Spider-like zombies that sneak up on and trap opponents with webs. They are under the command of Tararan.
A Flash Barrel is a barrel that contains the red flare inside used to signal Thriller Bark. It floats on the ocean at the entrance of the Florian Triangle, waiting for any passing ships. Whenever opened it will shoot out a red flare after which Perona's Ghost Network will start spying on them. This was a clever trick to pull sailors to Thriller Bark. The first flash barrel appeared in Chapter 442 and Episode 337.
Purified Sea SaltEdit
Purified Sea Salt is simply salt extracted from the sea, and purified. However, they play a crucial role in defeating the zombies on Thriller Bark. Since salt is an extract from the sea, it can be used to cancel the Kage Kage no Mi's shadow-extracting powers, and purify the zombies, rendering them a husk once again. The amount of salt needed to feed a zombie is proportional to its size, as Oars was immune to a small pellet of salt shot into his mouth.
- While Thriller Bark's name may simply refer to the broad genre that uses suspense, tension and excitement as the main elements, it may also refer to the famous horror-themed song "Thriller" by Michael Jackson.
- Hogback's mansion bears resemblance to the Notre Dame cathedral.
- This is the first of two pirate ships that were originally islands modified to become a sea going vessel, the other being Island Ship.
- In the anime, some of the numbers for the Zombies are mixed around (For example, in the anime, Zombie 28 became Zombie 29; and the anime has a different Zombie 36 than the manga).
- Just before reaching Thriller Bark, Franky was talking to Iceburg about turning an island into a ship.
External Links Edit
- Barque - Wikipedia article about the type of ship that Thriller Bark is based on.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 50 Chapter 490 and Episode 381, Thriller Bark is abandoned by Moriah and all other inhabitants.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 49 Chapter 481 and Episode 374, Moriah uses his Devil Fruit ability to absorb 1,000 shadows into himself.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 45 Chapter 431 (p. 8) and Episode 313, Franky questions Iceburg whether he is going to turn Water 7 into a ship.