The Mogu Mogu no Mi is a Zoan-type Devil Fruit that allows its user to transform into a mole hybrid and a full mole at will, making the user a Mole Human (モグラ人間 Mogura Ningen?). It was eaten by Miss Merry Christmas.
- "Mogu" is short for "Mogura" (土竜?), the Japanese word for mole.
- In the Viz Manga and 4Kids dub, it is called the Diggy-Diggy Fruit, a reference to the animal's ability to dig through earth.
- In the FUNimation dub, it is correctly called the Mole-Mole Fruit.
Strengths and WeaknessesEdit
The major strength of the fruit, as demonstrated by Miss Merry Christmas, is that the user is able to move underground as if they were swimming in a pool. He/she are also able to attack enemies with sharp mole-claws the size of bananas. A powerful enough user will just simply smash through any stone structures in their way without losing any speed whilst traveling underground.
The tunnels that the user makes by digging can also be used by their allies to aid them in fighting. Unfortunately for the user and their partner(s), the tunnels can also be used by the enemies as well. The major weakness of this is that all the tunnels that are dug are interconnected. This means a large scale attack, like an explosion, sent into the tunnels could greatly damage the user and their allies.
Other than that the user is also affected by the same main weaknesses as other Devil Fruit users.
The fruit's bestowed powers, as used by Miss Merry Christmas, have been used primarily for combat. During her and Mr. 4's battle against Usopp and Chopper, the way she used her mole hybrid form in a sequence of events, greatly resembled to the game of "whack-a-mole". Mainly when Usopp tried to use the 5-Ton Hammer on her and she kept retreating into her holes. The majority of her named techniques while in her mole-hybrid form were also first seen being used during the same battle.
- Mogura Tonpo: Mogugyo (土竜遁法 土竜魚 Mogura Tonpō: Mogugyo?, literally meaning "Mole Digging Technique: Mole-Fish"): From the opening of one of her molehills, Miss Merry Christmas leaps into the air and swan dives underground. This technique is called Mole Swimming Stealth Style in the Viz Manga, Mole Swimming: Mole-Fish Escape in the FUNimation dub, and Woodchuck Swimming Stealth Style in the 4Kids dub.
- Mogura Banana (土竜 平手撃ち (バナナ) Mogura Banana?, literally meaning "Mole Palm Shoot"): Miss Merry Christmas attacks her opponent with her mole-hybrid form's claws. This attack can be performed while underground or by leaping out at her opponent. Its name is derived from when she attacks her opponent: the way she attacks and her claws resemble bananas. This is called Mole Banana in the Viz Manga and FUNimation dub and Woodchuck Banana in the 4Kids dub.
- Mogurazuka Highway (モグラ塚ハイウェイ Mogurazuka Haiuei?, literally meaning "Molehill Highway"): Miss Merry Christmas grabs her opponent's feet from underground and starts tunneling rapidly, dragging him/her along the surface with her. This is called Moletown Highway in the Viz Manga, Woodchuck Highway: Off and Running in the 4Kids dub, and Molehill Highway in the FUNimation dub.
- Mogurazuka Yonban Kousaten (モグラ塚4番交差点 Mogurazuka Yonban Kōsaten?, literally meaning "Molehill Intersection Number 4"): A combo attack with Miss Merry Christmas, first, Miss Merry Christmas uses Mogurazuka Highway and carries the opponent past Mr. 4 who, upon hearing her call out the attack, smacks the captive with his 4-ton bat, causing massive damage. This is called Moletown Cleanup Hitter in the Viz Manga and the FUNimation dub of Movie 8, Woodchuck Batter Blaster in the 4Kids dub, and Molehill Intersection #4 in the FUNimation dub.
- Mogu Mogu Impact (モグモグ玉砕 (インパクト) Mogu Mogu Inpakuto?, literally meaning "Mole Mole Honorable Death"): After performing Mogurazuka Highway, Miss Merry Christmas steers her opponent into a wall, smashing him/her into it with great force. This is simply called Mole Impact in the Viz Manga, Mole-Mole Impact in the FUNimation dub, and Woodchuck Wallbanger in the 4Kids dub.
Translation and Dub IssuesEdit
In the 4Kids dub, in order to match with the Miss Merry Christmas' name change to Miss Groundhog's Day, the animal into which the fruit allows her turn was also changed: a mole to a groundhog. This change also included changing Usopp's penguin assumption regarding Miss Merry Christmas' hybrid form. This change, however, was only dialogue-wise. Despite the dub stating she was a groundhog, she still looked like a mole. The name of "Diggy Diggy" also did not match the naming scheme of other Zoans as it did not list the species name in any way.
- A running gag due to the Miss Merry Christmas' shape when she turns to a mole hybrid is that Usopp mistakes her for a penguin.
- While the name of the fruit can be short for the Japanese word for mole, it can also abbreviate "mogu mogu", a phrase meaning to chew one's words, which describes Miss Merry Christmas' manner of speech.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 20 Chapter 183 (p. 18) and Episode 113, Chopper explains to Usopp about Miss Merry Christmas' Devil Fruit.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 20 Chapters 183–184 and Episode 113, Mr. 4 and Lassoo are seen also using Miss Merry Christmas' tunnels.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 20 Chapter 184 and Episode 114.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 20 Chapter 185 and Episode 114.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 20 Chapter 185 (p. 8) and Episode 114.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 20 Chapter 185 (p. 9, 12-13) and Episode 114.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 20 Chapter 185 (p. 15-16) and Episode 114.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 20 Chapter 186 (p. 8-10) and Episode 115.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 20 Chapter 185 (p. 16) and Episode 114.
- Mole — Wikipedia article about moles in general