- "Mochi" is the name of a rice cake sweet, and can also be a descriptor for sticky things in general.
- In the English dub, it is called the Mochi-Mochi Fruit, retaining the Japanese name of the sweet.
Strengths and WeaknessesEdit
The user is given the ability to control large amounts of mochi; the mochi is thick enough to be used as a large blunt weapon, and is capable of trapping people, even extremely strong ones, due to its stickiness, especially if empowered by Busoshoku Haki. Its thickness and viscosity is such that large-caliber gunfire is completely unable to pierce through it.
Although a Paramecia-class, it has shown some effects of an actual Logia power: the current user was able to transform into mochi to block off bullets or being blown apart by an explosive attack only to reform. Jinbe notes this fruit as a "special Paramecia".
However, the mochi loses much of its stickiness if a sufficient amount of liquid is applied to it, allowing a trapped opponent to free themselves from it; this was first seen when Jinbe used Fishman Karate to douse Katakuri's leg with black tea, freeing the trapped Luffy. Otherwise, the user is affected by the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Katakuri uses his fruit in combat, and is capable of controlling large amounts of mochi with high precision. He has been shown extending his limb using mochi for various tasks. He extended his leg to form an extremely fast, large, tentacle-like blunt weapon, with much of it imbued with Haki to harm the rubber-bodied Monkey D. Luffy, and at the same time, entrapping him. He also used it to extend his hand to rescue Charlotte Brûlée from her captives, and secure Charlotte Galette while the Big Mom Pirates fell from Whole Cake Chateau.
He also used his fruit to create mochi earplugs in order to stand to his mother's scream after the picture of Mother Carmel was broken during the Tea Party. He also distributed these earplugs to his siblings as well. He also used his mochi to plug up the cannons of Capone Bege's Big Father, causing them to explode when fired.
- This Devil Fruit was initially introduced as a Logia in the Magazine release, but was changed into a Paramecia in the Volume version, though is stated to be a "special Paramecia" (特殊な超人系 tokushuna Paramishia?).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 One Piece Manga — Vol. 86 Chapter 863 (p. 12-15), Jinbe names the Mochi Mochi no Mi as a "special Paramecia".
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 86 Chapter 869 (p. 16), Katakuri's substance is stated to be mochi.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 One Piece Manga — Vol. 86 Chapter 865 (p. 7), Katakuri's head turning into high-viscosity mochi to block off Bege's Tommy Gun bullets.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Chapter 871 (p. 13-14), Ichiji blows Katakuri apart, only for him to be reformed.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 86 Chapter 869 (p. 4), Katakuri extending his mochi to save Brûlée.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Chapter 872 (p. 10), Katakuri extending his mochi to save Galette.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 86 Chapter 868 (p. 12-13), Katakuri creates earplugs for he and his siblings.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 86 Chapter 869 (p. 15-16), Katakuri disables Bege's cannons.
- ↑ One Piece Manga (Shonen Jump) — Chapter 863 (p. 12-15), Jinbe states Katakuri's fruit is a Logia.