|Manga - Anime|
|Debut:||Chapter 705; Episode 634|
|Alias:||"Capman" (キャップマン Kyappuman?)|
|Epithet:||"Maynard the Pursuer" (追撃のメイナード Tsuigeki no Meinādo?)|
|Japanese VA:||Hikaru Hanada|
Maynard the Pursuer is a vice admiral who appears in the Dressrosa Arc. He was registered as a gladiator to compete at the Corrida Colosseum for the Mera Mera no Mi, but was defeated before he could participate.
Maynard is a muscular, broad-chested man with dark hair tied up in a wild ponytail that sticks out to one side. He also has a dark beard and a mustache.
His outfit as a gladiator consists of a dark red cap, studded belt, briefs, a studded band on his left thigh which holds a knife, and sandals that reach just below his knees and are studded down the front. Under his cap he wears sunglasses.
As a Marine, he is an enemy to all pirates, and shows no hesitation in attacking them.
After discovering Maynard was responsible for attacking Gambia, the pirate confronted Maynard as revenge for his subordinate. Bartolomeo defeated the Marine with ease, before leaving his unconscious body in a room.
Abilities and PowersEdit
- Further information: Haki
Maynard carries around a knife on his left leg, held by a band.
While reporting the names of competitors to his colleagues, he was discovered by Gambia. As Gambia questioned Maynard about what he was doing, he told his colleagues that he will call back in ten minutes. After hanging up, the vice admiral defeated Gambia and then unceremoniously left the pirate in the garbage room. While washing his hands, he called back to his colleague and told him to cross Gambia's name out, saying that he was mistaken about him and there was no need to worry.
After Doflamingo trapped Dressrosa in his "bird cage", Maynard left the colosseum and report to his colleagues. After receiving a scolding from Bastille, Maynard explained to Bastille and Issho about discovering Doflamingo's connection with the underworld. Maynard explained to Issho that it would be the best time to arrest Doflamingo, but Issho responded that it is not the World Government's role to play God in the wake of the anger-filled screams of the citizens and instructed the Vice Admiral to continue following his orders.
Maynard, Issho, and an army of Marines were later stationed at the base of the new King's Plateau apparently to hinder the Straw Hats from reaching Doflamingo. However, while Luffy and his allies from the colosseum were charging up the new King's Plateau, the Marines were confronted by Sabo.
Anime and Manga DifferencesEdit
The anime extended Maynard's confrontation with Bartolomeo, showing them having a brief conversation before they fought. It also showed Maynard injured and trying to attack Bartolomeo before being defeated.
- His name is possibly a reference to Robert Maynard, the English Royal Navy captain who was captain of the crew that killed the real-life pirate, Blackbeard.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 71 Chapter 705 and Episode 634, Maynard makes his debut.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 71 Chapter 705 and Episode 635, Maynard is defeated by Bartolomeo.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 One Piece Manga — Chapter 747.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 60 Chapter 594 (p. 7) and Episode 511, Dr. Fishbonen states Haki is a power all vice admirals use.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 72 Chapter 717 and Episode 647, Bastille fails to get in touch with Maynard.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Chapter 750 (p. 18-19).