The Lord of the Coast is fairly small in size compared to other Sea Kings; however, he is still quite large in comparison with most other sea monsters in the One Piece world.
His appearance is similar to a large oversized brown eel with red eyes and blue fins. These eyes become bloodshot and the pupils turn catlike when it goes into a berserk frenzy, a trait shared in the fishman Arlong.
The Lord of the Coast is very aggressive and fierce in nature. In the creature classification, he's considered even more savage than a typical Sea King. However despite his fearsome aggressive personality, he is shown to fear powerful individuals like Shanks as he was frightened off by Shanks with a single angry glare.
Romance Dawn ArcEdit
He was first seen when he ate Higuma, who was in a small rowing boat, shortly after Higuma threw Luffy into the water. He then tries to eat Luffy, failing to do so and instead just managing to bite off Shanks' left arm. He is scared away then by Shanks, who stares him down using his Haoshoku Haki.
Anime and Manga DifferencesEdit
The anime did not depict Luffy punching the Lord of the Coast while leaving home during his original backstory. Luffy's past was revealed in a flashback which pointed out small details such as this.
It was finally shown in the anime series near the end of episode 504, when the rest of Luffy's backstory was revealed. Luffy's stance in the episode is closer to the manga than in the opening, with his foot sticking up and his left arm holding his right, whereas the opening has his foot on the edge of the boat and his left arm pulled back.
He was issued alongside Shanks and Luffy in a One Piece Block Figures set featuring the Straw Hats and their past mentors/loved ones.
- Lord of the Coast was the first Sea King to be featured in the series. It is also the first Sea King to appear outside of the Grand Line.
- In Romance Dawn V.1, instead of Lord of the Coast, a shark was featured biting off Shanks' arm. In some older fan-made scans, he is still named as a "shark" and not a Sea King despite clearly not being a shark. However, the greater identification of Sea Kings was unknown at the time, as they remain unnamed until Luffy's crew attempts to enter the Grand Line.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 1 and Episode 4, Foosha village inhabitants call him "the Lord of the Coast".
- ↑ One Piece Red: Grand Characters, it is stated that the Lord of the Coast is a Sea King.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 One Piece Blue: Grand Data File (p. 88-89), classification of animals by dangerousness.
- ↑ One Piece Blue: Grand Data File, the relative size of the Lord of the Coast is discussed.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 1 and Episode 4, the Lord of the Coast eats Higuma and Shanks' left arm. Ten years later, he is punched by Luffy.
- ↑ One Piece Anime — Episode 1, introduction to series We Are!