Orochi is an extremely cruel and oppressive tyrant as under his rule, the people of Wano suffered great famines. The officials under him also harshly enforce his regime, and he collaborated with Kaido to not only kill Kozuki Oden, but also allowed the Beast Pirates to turn Wano into a nearly complete wasteland in exchange for borrowing Kaido's power and protection, showing no care for his own country and people aside from his own self-interest. Orochi is also arrogant and discriminating against lower class citizens who are strictly confined to Okobore Town.
He appears to enjoy refined music and dancing and has strict standards for it, as Nico Robin was required to master Wano Style Dance as a geisha in order to get close to him.
Orochi has no tolerance of anyone who speaks ill of him, even if out of his earshot and in casual discussion. He has made it a capital crime for any such rebellious talks, in which the Gifters enforce.
Orochi apparently suffers from paranoia as his treasurer Kyoshiro noted he was terrified of the ominous prophecy that he would be dethroned and killed. The masterminds of this plot would be rebels who supported the Kozuki Family who would be restored to power along with reviving the open door policy that was suppressed after Oden's execution. This fear is substantiated by a covert Kozuki Family supporter who states that Orochi prohibited the use of weapons and banned Kendo, Karate, and Judo dojos to deprive any dissidents of the means to incite an rebellion.
Abilities and PowersEdit
As shogun, Orochi has full control over Wano Country and its inhabitants. He has government officials working under him who enforce his rule, and also possesses the backing of Kaido of the Yonko. Thus, if he and his subordinates are threatened, Kaido will hear about it and deal with the threat.
As shogun of the Wano Country, Orochi is an extremely powerful samurai. He uses a sword-style known as Orochi Nitoryu (オロチ二刀流 Orochi Nitōryū?, literally meaning "Orochi Two Swords Style"). According to propaganda, he used it to defeat Kozuki Oden and his retainers.
Orochi came into power around 20 years ago, supplanting the Kozuki Family. Sometime in the past, Orochi joined forces with Kaido and the Beasts Pirates. Orochi and Kaido went after the Kozuki Family to discover a secret about Raftel that Kozuki Oden knew, and they executed Oden and his wife. Before she died, Oden's wife cursed Orochi, which he interpreted as a prophecy that the Kozuki Family would get revenge on him in 20 years. Orochi and Kaido then pursued Oden's son Kozuki Momonosuke and his retainers, but Momonosuke and his three guards managed to escape Wano.
Wano Country ArcEdit
- Orochi means Snake or Serpent in Japanese. Yamata no Orochi (Eight headed Serpent) is the name of a legendary Japanese dragon with eight heads and eight tails.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 One Piece Manga — Chapter 927, Orochi is first seen.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 82 Chapter 818 and Episode 770, The shogun of Wano Country is first mentioned.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 One Piece Manga — Vol. 90 Chapter 909, Orochi is revealed to be the shogun.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 91 Chapter 914 (p. 10-11), Batman tried to kill Tsuru for speaking ill of Orochi.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 One Piece Manga — Vol. 91 Chapter 919 (p. 7-8), Kyoshiro drunkenly insults Orochi's dread of losing his power and being killed.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Chapter 926 (p. 6), A citizen explains how the shogun prevents a rebellion.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 91 Chapter 914.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Chapter 927.