The Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Daibutsu is a Mythical Zoan-type Devil Fruit that allows its user to transform into a Daibutsu (a giant Buddha statue) at will. It was eaten by Sengoku, the former Fleet Admiral of the Marines.
- "Hito" (人?) is Japanese for "human".
- Although the fruit's name translates over to "Great Buddha", a "Daibutsu" more accurately refers to a statue of Buddha rather than the actual Buddha, which fits with his golden skin color and his hair becoming bumpy as if it were solid.
- In the Viz Manga it is called the Human-Human Fruit, Model Buddha.
Strengths and WeaknessesEdit
The main strength of this fruit is that it allows the user to transform into a giant, living, Buddha-like golden statue, gaining an extreme boost in strength to match his size. In this form, Sengoku's limbs grow out of proportion, giving him abnormally large arms and relatively tiny legs. His entire body takes on a golden hue, similar to a polished gold statue (grey color in Gigant Battle); in addition to a full and hybrid transformation that are available to all Zoan Devil Fruit users, he can use palm thrusts to launch powerful shock waves. This fruit has no apparent weaknesses, aside from the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Sengoku has so far been seen using this fruit primarily for combat purposes, enhancing his punching power with his increased size, to the point of injuring the pressurized rubber-bodied Monkey D. Luffy and destroying the scaffold they were on, even when it was blocked by Galdino's harder-than-steel "Candle Wall". Sengoku can launch golden shock waves to cause heavy and widespread damage to a group of enemies, and was strong enough to injure even the Blackbeard Pirates. In the anime, these shock waves are shown to be powerful enough to clash against the ones created by Marshall D. Teach.
When Sengoku first used his fruit's powers in an attempt to execute both Luffy and Ace, nearby Marines noted that they had never seen him use it before, suggesting that he rarely transforms. When he transformed, he was bathed in a blinding golden light momentarily.
- Impact Wave (?): Sengoku launches a golden shock wave that can cause heavy damage on a large group of enemies and strong enough to injure even the Blackbeard Pirates. Its name comes from One Piece: Burning Blood.
- I'll execute you myself! (?): A powerful punch that was used by Sengoku when he tried to execute Ace, along with Luffy, and Galdino. It was powerful enough to destroy the scaffold of the execution platform despite being blocked by Galdino's Candle Wall. Its name comes from One Piece: Burning Blood.
- Little Punk! (?): A punch combo used by Sengoku in One Piece: Burning Blood.
- This fruit's power is the main reason for Sengoku's epithet: "The Buddha".
- This fruit's transformation (a Daibutsu statue) is somewhat ironic as the fruit itself falls into the Zoan type, where every fruit of this class enables the user to turn into one type of animal, while the fruit's Zoan form is more like an object than an animal.
- When Sengoku transforms in the manga, his hat seemingly disappears and his uniform gets tied around his waist (the process of which was not shown), though everything changes color and enlarges with him. In the anime, his hat is shown falling off, and his afro that is stuffed underneath expands.
- It is unknown if the transformation used during the Battle of Marineford is his hybrid form or his full transformation.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 58 Chapter 571 and Episode 480, Sengoku transforms into a Daibutsu.
- ↑ SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 60, fan question: Oda Sensei! What exactly is Fleet Admiral Sengoku's power? I’ve been wondering for a while.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 578 and Episode 487, Sengoku launches a shock wave blast at the Blackbeard Pirates.
- ↑ One Piece Anime — Episode 488, Sengoku's and Blackbeard's shock waves clash equally.
- Daibutsu - Wikipedia article on the entity this fruit transforms the user into.