The Heart Pirates are an infamous and notable rookie pirate crew introduced on Sabaody Archipelago around the time the Straw Hat Pirates arrived there two years ago. Their potential is further seen with the release of Haoshoku Haki by Silvers Rayleigh, which nearly every notable crewmate was able to withstand.
Unlike many other pirates from the North Blue, the Heart Pirates do not use a skull and crossbones, but a smiley instead. The Heart Pirates' has protrusions in six directions, and is in fact pretty similar to that of the Donquixote Pirates, without the cancel sign over it. The smiley is a reference to Donquixote Rosinante, who wanted to be remembered smiling, in contrast to his brother Donquixote Doflamingo's murderous manner and contrasting symbol.
Trafalgar Law, the captain of the Heart Pirates, was originally a crew member under Donquixote Doflamingo when he was 10 years old. During his time with the Donquixote Pirates, he partook in various raids while combating his Amber Lead Syndrome. He also met Vergo in their travels. He stayed with the crew until he turned 13, leaving the crew following the death of Corazon by Doflamingo's hands.
Three years after his defection, Law met Bepo, a Minkmen who came from Zou. After that, they became friends and founded the Heart Pirates in the North Blue. They fought their way through the Grand Line and eventually reached Sabaody Archipelago.
Summit War SagaEdit
Sabaody Archipelago ArcEdit
Afterwards they went to a slave auction. While not particularly taking part in the auctions, they watched the events and eventually witnessed Monkey D. Luffy punch Saint Charloss. After the ensuing battle, Rayleigh appeared and used his Haki on everyone, including the Heart Pirates. Every member took it without a problem, except for Shachi, who got a bit dizzy. After the marines started to surround the building, Kid, Luffy and Law went out to deal with them. Eventually Bepo joined the fray as well and Jean Bart was freed from his explosive collar and recruited, choosing his old pirate life over a life as slave. While retreating and trying to escape from the marines, Jean smashed a bridge, to cut the marines off. Shortly afterwards, the crew encountered the Kid Pirates who were in a battle with a Pacifista, though they mistook it for Bartholomew Kuma. Law decided to help the Kid Pirates, in spite of Kid's protest. They fought the Pacifista together. While the battle was not shown, the Heart Pirates were shown to escape without any lasting damage.
During the Whitebeard War, the crew was still present on the on Sabaody Archipelago. They were just about to leave.
Later on, the crew appears on the battlefield to save Luffy. Due to Buggy distrusting the Heart Pirates, he did not hand a badly wounded Luffy and Jinbe over right away. However, both the crew and Buggy started to panic when Kizaru attacked Luffy, Jinbe and Buggy, so Buggy handed them over to the crew despite his mistrust. The crew then submerged with their submarine and managed to escape all three of the Admirals' attacks.
On their journey, a marine battleship came along with them. It was shown that Boa Hancock, Iva and his okamas were on the Marine battleship, much to the pirate crew's relief. Boa Hancock then invited the Heart Pirates to treat Luffy on Amazon Lily.
After Luffy's treatment was over, the Heart Pirates headed off, though unlike many other pirates, Law decided to stay in "Paradise" for a bit longer.
Punk Hazard ArcEdit
It was revealed that they went to another island called Zou to meet up with Law, after his plan succeeds. They were under the care of Nekomamushi, since Bepo is a native of Zou. During the Beasts Pirates' invasion, the Heart Pirates assisted the Mink Tribe.
After Luffy's group arrived, the Heart Pirates got reacquainted with Luffy after he arrived at the Whale Forest. They were later reunited with Law after he arrived at their location using Bepo's vivre card. Law then brought his crew to introduce them to the Straw Hats. After giving them a quick greeting, Law told Luffy they had things to discuss, much to the crew's chagrin, with Law telling them that they didn't need to mingle with their allies.
|Trafalgar D. Water Law||Bepo||Jean Bart||Shachi|
|Straw Hat Pirates||Kozuki Family||Mink Tribe|
The crew consists of twenty-one members, all but two of whom wear a pale-lilac boiler-suit apparel with the crew's Jolly Roger emblazoned on the left side of the chest, aside from their captain and Navigator. When Jean Bart first joined the crew, he merely wore a black shirt after changing out of his slave's clothes, but after the time-skip he is shown to have adopted the same outfit as the rest of the crew. Their uniform is notable for being similar to the ones worn by the World Noble's slaves who were working in Tequila Wolf, with the only notable differences are the color and the Heart Pirates' have their jolly roger on their suits. They also have a single female crewmember.
It can be presumed that they are a strong crew for them to have made it all the way to Sabaody Archipelago, and have a captain with such a high bounty.
With the addition of the new member, famous pirate captain Jean Bart, the crew may have grown even stronger. All crewmembers were able to withstand a blast of Haki from Silvers Rayleigh, though Shachi stated that he almost passed out, which may indicate he is slightly less powerful.
They also seem to have medical expertise, as their submarine is supplied with what looks like a complete operating theater, and their captain is a medic capable enough to heal Luffy and Jinbe while the former was on the verge of death and the latter was severely wounded.
Given that their captain is a former member of the Shichibukai, it is likely that the crew's reputation and strength have increased as well.
The crew on Law's behalf has become allies with the Straw Hat Pirates, making them such a dangerous alliance that it even jeopardize and ultimately cost Law's position in the Shichibukai.
The vessel seems to display considerable speed and maneuverability when submerged, as seen when it completely outpaced Aokiji's Ice Age, and evaded Kizaru's Yasakani no Magatama. It also seems that the submarine can go through the Calm Belt since it left Amazon Lily without needing to be accompanied by the Kuja Pirates' ship.
Despite the fact that it works like a submarine, its design is similar to a ship as it has a mast and lamps on the outside. Also, on the side of it is the Jolly Roger of the Heart Pirates with the word DEATH (referring to the tattoos on Trafalgar Law's hands and his epithet, "The Surgeon of Death").
From the inside, the submarine seems to be well-equipped with medical apparatuses and life-support systems all stored in the sick bay.
- In the Japanese fandom, Penguin and Shachi were often called "Penguin" (ペンギン) and "Casquette" (キャスケット). The former after the word on his cap, and the latter after the Japanese name of the type of hat he wears.
- The Heart Pirates' Jolly Roger resembles a virus, a suitable choice considering Trafalgar Law's profession and his epithet: "Surgeon of Death".
- Also their jolly roger is a "smiley", as first seen used by Law's former superior Donquixote Doflamingo. But unlike Doflamingo's smiley, theirs does not have a "cancel" sign across it. At the end of Chapter 766, Corazon wanted Law to remember him smiling if he ever thought about him in the future, therefore this is most likely the origin for the smile on the jolly roger.
- Before the timeskip, all the crew members except for Law, Bepo, and Jean Bart had their face obscured by some kind of hat.
- Law having a submarine for a ship might be a reference to the Trafalgar class of submarines.
- The name "Heart Pirates" is likely a reference to Doflamingo's promise to give the "heart" position in his organization to Law.
- The crew may also have been named in honor of Corazon (Spanish for heart), who was Doflamingo's younger brother, Law's benefactor, and the previous owner of the heart seat in the Donquixote Family. This is a fact that particularly infuriates Doflamingo, believing it to be a curse derived from his younger brother's kindness.
- In an SBS, a fan noted that the crew seem to have a "cold climate animal" theme: Bepo is a polar bear, Penguin and Shachi are named after antarctic animals (although orcas are found in all oceans) and Law's hat is like a larga seal. Oda acknowledged this and also noted that Law was represented by a snow leopard (another cold climate animal) in Toshio Asakuma's Animal Figurine Collection.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 80 Chapter 805.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 668 and Episode 594, Usopp claims that the alliance is formed with the Heart pirates.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 70 Chapter 700 and Episode 629, Heart Pirates on Zo waiting for Law.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 One Piece Manga — Vol. 81 Chapter 810 (p. 4), Members of the Heart Pirates prepare to do battle with Jack.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 51 Chapter 498 and Episode 392, The Eleven Supernovas are shown.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 81 Chapter 815, The number of members that the Heart Pirates consist of is confirmed.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 578 and Episode 487, Trafalgar Law yells to Buggy to bring him Luffy because he is a doctor.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 578 and Episode 487, Law arrives at Marineford in his submarine.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 580 and Episode 489, the Heart Pirates evade the attacks from Aokiji and Kizaru.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 581 and Episode 490, Luffy's getting healed with the help of the submarine's medical equipment.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 78 Chapter 780 (p. 6-7) and Episode 721, Doflamingo infuriated at Law's motif for the Hearts theme.