|Romanized Name:||Haō-shoku no Haki|
|Official English Name:||Conqueror's Haki (FUNimation sub) Conqueror spirit (FUNimation dub)|
|Literal Meaning:||Haki of the Color of the Conquering King|
|Debut:||Chapter 1; Episode 4|
|Fighting Style Focus:||Intimidation|
It was first demonstrated by Shanks, when he used it to scare off a Sea King. Later on, during a meeting with Whitebeard, he used it to knock out most of the crew, which the few still standing attributed to his superior Haki. Luffy first displayed the effects of this type of Haki against Duval's bull, Motobaro, much to everyone's confusion. He displayed it again on Amazon Lily while battling Sandersonia and Marigold, knocking out a large portion of the audience observing the match. This is also the first time it is referred to by name. Luffy's exhibition of it during the Marineford War was enough for the Marine admirals to become wary enough of him that they prioritized his elimination afterwards. After the timeskip, Luffy is proficient enough to tame monsters, as well as knock out a selected group of individuals without affecting any of the bystanders using Haoshoku Haki, displaying his new-found proficiency in the skill.
This type of Haki grants the user the ability to dominate the wills of others. The most common usage in the series so far is knocking those with weak wills unconscious. Whilst inexperienced users are restricted to merely overpowering the will of one individual or blindly knocking out weak-willed people around them, those with more expertise can pick out weak-willed individuals in a large group and knock them out without affecting those around them. However, those with stronger wills can resist or even ignore the effects of Haoshoku Haki. The ability to knock someone out depends on the difference in strength between the person using Haki and the person or persons the user is trying to knock out. The greater the power gap, the easier it is to knock the victim out. According to Rayleigh, while this type of Haki cannot be attained through training, it can be improved through strengthening the will of the user. It seems that upon recovery, victims of Haoshoku Haki experience the sensation of chills running through their body. However, it presumably wears off after a short period.
There have been two ways in which this Haki has been used. The first and most common way is in a quick burst that will knock out those with weaker wills relatively easily. The second method is to release it continuously, which will not only knock out those of weak wills around the user, but also put pressure on the surroundings, actually affecting other physical objects besides living beings. It also has been shown that light bursts of Haoshoku Haki can be used in order to tame or intimidate creatures, and show the users superiority over the beast(s).
It has also been shown that when users of this Haki clash, it causes a rippling or shock wave effect cracking the air similar to the Gura Gura no Mi.
According to Trebol, Haoshoku Haki is proof of an individual who possesses the qualities of a king, a candidate chosen by heaven. Indeed, most of the people who have been shown to possess Haoshoku Haki (aside from Luffy, Chinjao and the non-canon Naguri) share a royal position or epithet, which indicate their dominating role:
- Boa Hancock, also known as the Pirate Empress, is Amazon Lily's ruler.
- Donquixote Doflamingo is the (tentative) king of Dressrosa, as well as a former World Noble.
- Edward Newgate was one of the Yonko (Four Emperors).
- Portgas D. Ace, being the son of the Pirate King, can metaphorically be considered a prince.
- Shanks is one of the Yonko.
- Silvers Rayleigh has the epithet of "Dark King".
While this is shown to be a very rare gift among the world as a whole, it is noted by Don Chinjao that the New World is filled with numerous others who possess the ability to use this Haki. He explains that Luffy will most certainly encounter them and fight them for the title of Pirate King.
Known Haoshoku Haki UsersEdit
|Boa Hancock||Chinjao||Donquixote Doflamingo||Edward Newgate †||Monkey D. Luffy|
|Portgas D. Ace †||Shanks||Silvers Rayleigh||Naguri ≠|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
Anime and Manga DifferencesEdit
- In the manga, those hit with Haoshoku Haki foam at the mouth after or while losing consciousness, whereas in the anime, they simply faint.
- In recent episodes, use of Haoshoku Haki causes the affected area, excluding the user, to be highlighted in a dark blue tint. However, this could just be for dramatic effect. In the One Piece Film: Z, the Haoshoku Haki's use creates a circular purple wave.
Translation and Dub IssuesEdit
Though the "Haō" in "Haōshoku" is translatable to "king", it refers to a "warring king" or "conqueror", one who rules by power and conquest. The term "Overlord" has been used by some translators.
- Hancock is the only known female to possess this type of Haki.
- Caesar Clown's attack Karakuni was mistaken for Haoshoku Haki by one of the Marines of G-5.
- All currently known Haoshoku Haki users are or were pirates. No Marines or other citizens are known to use the ability.
- This is the first form of Haki shown in the series, long before the concept of Haki was even mentioned.