Funkfreed is the sword that Spandam uses. Funkfreed "ate" the Zou Zou no Mi and became an Elephant Sword (象剣 Zōken?). He is charged with chief Spandam's personal protection, to make up for Spandam's physical weakness.
In sword form, he is a large and intimidating western-style curved sword, held in one hand and carried by Spandam slung over his back with the handle over his right shoulder. There are two tusks on the hilt, which are shaped like circles side-by-side, with the main blade set between them and a short tail on the pommel. In elephant form, he is a gentle, friendly-looking elephant, a little taller than his owner. He wears an attire similar to those worn by Indian elephants for ceremonial purposes. The design of the headgear of this attire resembles that of Spandam's mask. In the manga (and Episode of Merry), Funkfreed is originally a gray elephant. In the original anime, he is colored white.
When in his hybrid form, he extends from the hilt in a serpent-like manner with usually a significant difference in size between his two sword and elephant parts. In this form, his lower half remains a hilt while his trunk remains as the blade.
He seems to be a faithful companion to Spandam, obeying his orders and staying by his side (in either form) at all times. However, he seems to be a little cowardly, as Funkfreed surrendered immediately when faced with Franky's built-in arm weapon in his face.
Being a sword that has absorbed a Zoan-type Devil Fruit, the Zou Zou no Mi, Funkfreed can transform into an elephant-sword hybrid and a full elephant at Spandam's command. The Devil Fruit has also granted Funkfreed a life and mind of his own. However, given Spandam's limited skills in swordsplay, heavy reliance to Funkfreed for protection, and Funkfreed's own limited skillset, not much can be said of the sword-elephant's capabilities.
Funkfreed can transform into his various forms to adapt to fighting the opponent. He can become as heavy as an elephant, all the while maintaining the malleability of a sword.
Water 7 SagaEdit
Water 7 ArcEdit
Enies Lobby ArcEdit
Throughout the Enies Lobby Arc, Spandam used Funkfreed to restrain Nico Robin, and tried to attack Robin. However, Funkfreed was stopped and defeated by Franky, when the cyborg picked up the Elephant Sword and swung him to smash Spandam.
Anime and Manga DifferencesEdit
In the anime, Funkfreed is colored white. However, on the cover of volume 42, it is shown that the elephant form is naturally gray colored. This difference in color between manga and anime is partly due to the common fact that the intended colors came out much later after the anime. This is also due to the fact that Funkfreed's elephant form resembles greatly a stereotypical white elephant, commonly revered in India, in the uncolored pages of the manga. Funkfreed's color scheme is fixed to match that of the manga cover in Episode of Merry.
- Funkfreed's master, Spandam, appears to have owned an elephant in his childhood. Whether this is Funkfreed or another has yet to be confirmed.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 42 Chapter 400 (p. 6) and Episode 285, Funkfreed is revealed to be a sword that has absorbed a Zoan-type devil fruit.
- ↑ One Piece Blue Deep: Characters World (p. 144), His birthday is revealed.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 40 Chapter 379 (p. 10) and Episode 266, Spandam talks about the "special sword" he possesses that makes up for his physical weakness.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 44 Chapter 423 (p. 9) and Episode 306, Funkfreed reverts to his animal form after Franky threatens him that he will blow a hole to his head.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 38 Chapter 365 and Episode 254.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 43 Chapter 413 and Episode 297.
- ↑ Funkfreed is shown to be gray colored in volume 42's cover.
- ↑ One Piece Anime — Episode of Merry, Funkfreed's color scheme matches that from the volume cover.
- Elephant - Wikipedia article about elephants.
- White Elephant - Wikipedia article about White Elephants.