Cloning is the process of perfectly duplicating a living organism's body.
By manipulating a subject's Lineage Factor, it is possible to create a living duplicate body of them. The clone's body will be completely identical to the original subject's, but the clone will have a soul of his or her own and is in control of his or her own actions.
The Germa Kingdom is the only place known to use cloning technology. Germa 66, the kingdom's military force, is entirely comprised of clones of the kingdom's strongest soldiers, called Clone Soldiers (複製 (クローン) 兵 Kurōn Hei?). These clones are grown in large tanks resembling bottles, and grow at roughly four times the rate of a normal person, gaining the bodies of 20-year-olds in only five years. There are at least three known types:
Over 21 years ago, Vinsmoke Judge, Vegapunk, and some other scientists discovered the human lineage factor, which enabled them to manipulate the genetics of living organisms and create clones of them. The World Government discovered this research and drove the group apart, arresting Vegapunk in the process. Judge retreated to Germa and continued the cloning research, eventually succeeding in creating clones to form Germa 66.
- Human cloning being prohibited is just like in the real world, where the practice is banned in more than 70 countries.
- Interestingly, all of the clones seen so far bear a striking resemblance to Vergo of the Donquixote Pirates. Whether or not they are connected is unknown.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 82 Chapter 826, Cloned soldiers are shown on the Germa 66 ship with Yonji and Reiju
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Chapter 839, Germa 66 clones are revealed
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 One Piece Manga — Chapter 840.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Chapter 833, Judge talks about Germa's soldiers.