The Bomu Bomu no Mi is a Paramecia-type Devil Fruit that allows the user to make any part of his or her body explode, whether it be hair, mucus, or breath, making the user a Bomb Human (爆弾人間 Bakudan Ningen?). It was eaten by Mr. 5.
- "Bomu" is the Japanese spoken word for "bomb".
- It is called the Boom-Boom Fruit in the Viz manga.
- It is called the Bomb-Bomb Fruit in the 4Kids, FUNimation, and Odex dub.
Strengths and WeaknessesEdit
The fruit's main strength is that the user can turn their body parts into a bomb with no harm done to the user. The explosive quality extends to emissions such as mucus and breath. The fruit also grants immunity against all other explosions, as well as the ability to evaluate their quality (Mr. 5 commented that Usopp's Gunpowder Star tasted bad because he was using low quality gunpowder).
However, it seems that the ability only activates when the user initiates contact, or at will, as both Zoro and Luffy have been seen hitting Mr. 5 without him exploding. Other than that, this fruit has no apparent weaknesses aside from the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
The simplest form of Mr. 5's power usage is to launch his mucus or breath at his opponents for long range strikes and, for close range, he can detonate limbs or all of his body to inflict damage. Below is a list of his named techniques.
- Nose Fancy Cannon (鼻空想砲 (ノーズファンシーキャノン) Nōzu Fanshī Kyanon?): An effective technique despite Zoro considering it disgusting, Mr. 5 digs a dried mucus out of his nose and flicks it at the opponent. The snot explodes on contact with the opponent and creates a surprisingly large blast. This is called Nez-Palm Cannon in the Viz Manga, Bomb Boogie in the 4Kids dub, and keeps its original name in the FUNimation dub. In the move's English manga name, the "Nez" is French for "nose" and the spelling is meant to be a pun on "Napalm", because of how Mr. 5 picks his nose. This attack is also a pun when translated into Japanese, as "nose fancy" (hanakuusou) in Japanese is pronounced very similarly to "nose crap" (hanakuso), i.e mucus.
Since all other techniques were in the Little Garden arc, they were not seen in the 4Kids dub.
- Kick Bomb (足爆 (キッキーボム) Kikku Bomu?): Mr. 5 kicks his opponent, detonating his leg on impact. He can do the same with his arm. In the Viz Manga and FUNimation dub, this is called Kicky Bombs.
- Nose Fancy Double Cannon (鼻空想ニ連砲 (ノーズファンシーダブルキャノン) Nōzu Fanshī Daburu Kyanon?): It is the same as Nose Fancy Cannon except he flicks mucus with both hands at the same time. In the Viz Manga, this is called Nez-Palm Double Cannon.
- Breeze Breath Bomb (そよ風息爆弾 (ブリーズ・ブレス・ボム) Burīzu Buresu Bomu?): Mr. 5 blows into the chambers of a revolver pistol, then fires his breath as invisible exploding bullets.
- Zenshin Kibaku (全身起爆 Zenshin Kibaku?, literally meaning "Full Body Exploding"): Mr. 5 grabs his opponent in a bear-hug then detonates his entire body at once. According to Mr. 5, this technique is so destructive it does not even leave any of his opponent's bones behind. However, Mr. 5 did not have the chance to actually use this move as Zoro was able to knock him out before he could kill Usopp.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 13 Chapter 110 (p. 12-13) and Episode 65, Mr. 5 demonstrates the usage of the Bomu Bomu no Mi.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 13 Chapter 111 (p. 11) and Episode 66, Mr. 5 explains his Devil Fruit ability.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 14 Chapter 120 (p. 18) and Episode 73, Mr. 5 using Kick Bomb.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 14 Chapter 124 (p. 12) and Episode 75, Mr. 5 using Nose Fancy Double Cannon.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 14 Chapter 124 (p. 16-18) and Episode 76, Mr. 5 using Breeze Breath Bomb.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 14 Chapter 126 (p. 8-9).
- Bomb - Wikipedia entry on ability controlled by Mr. 5.
- Explosion - Wikipedia entry on the phenomenon released by Mr. 5's Devil Fruit.