Appearance and FeaturesEdit
The Baratie is a fairly large ship. It takes an oval shape, with the normal masts but has a fish as a front-piece/head. The Baratie has a round bottom. A small array of cannons are lined on the sides, which can be used for battle. The Baratie also has four levels:
- Lower deck, which is where the main restaurant is.
- Middle Deck, which is the main kitchen.
- Upper Deck, where twenty three cooks reside.
- The fins that fold out to the sides from underneath are to stabilize the restaurant during harsh weather and also, are used as a battle platform to prevent the restaurant itself from receiving collateral damage.
The Baratie has certain parts that caught the interest of Don Krieg. One main part was that the Baratie has "fins". The bottom of the ship was rounded, and could be extended into "fins" or a battle deck. Also, the fish head of the ship can be detached to make the mobile attack unit Sabagashira I. Similar to a pedal boat, it is covered and made out of metal. Cannons are stationed inside of the fish's mouth.
After two years, the Baratie has expanded with HQ undergoing major renovations, with several floors added, and with at least two other sister ships.
Ten years before Luffy arrived at the Baratie, hoping to find a cook for his young crew, Zeff founded the Baratie with Sanji's help and support. After the Cook Pirates attacked the Orbit, both Zeff and a 9-year-old Sanji were stranded on a rock for 85 days; during this time, Zeff discussed with Sanji the idea of starting a restaurant floating on the sea, and Sanji promised that if they survived, he would help Zeff achieve that goal. After they were rescued on the 85th day, Zeff sold all the treasure he had and purchased the Baratie; as the restaurant's new head chef, he told Sanji (the new sous chef) that all customers would be welcome, no matter how villainous they were.
During Luffy's brief stint working at the Baratie, the restaurant was attacked by the Krieg Pirates after Sanji gave Gin some food. Gin responded by taking the armada to the Baratie, as the armada was starving to death. After Zeff gave Krieg some food, which the cooks of Baratie would not do, Krieg attempted to capture the Baratie, saying that it would be the perfect disguise to attack towns and other ships. The cooks began to prepare to fight against the Wolves of the Sea, the nickname given to the armada, and Krieg's weapon arsenal. Later, after a long and arduous battle between Krieg and Luffy, Baratie was successfully defended.
Two Years LaterEdit
|Zeff||Patty||Carne||Sanji ‡||Monkey D. Luffy ‡|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
He was a famous man among the chefs, having frequently visited the Baratie. One day he got drunk on wine and died after setting himself on fire. The flames were said to be quite beautiful.
Many battles took place during the battle between the Krieg Pirates and the cooks of the Baratie.
- Baratie cooks vs. Pirate crews
- Roronoa Zoro vs. Dracule Mihawk
- Sanji vs. Pearl
- Sanji vs. Gin
- Monkey D. Luffy vs. Don Krieg
Translation and Dub IssuesEdit
Due to lack of proper Japanese to English translation, Baratie was translated as Valatie in the One Piece opening music "Share the World".
- There is a Little Baratie on the anime filler island, Little East Blue, which looks just like the original except it resides in a small pond.
- During Patty's first debut in the anime, when he was saying some kind of motivational motto to himself in the bathroom mirror, "Eiichiro Oda", One Piece's creator, is written in the lower-right corner of the mirror.
- Oda worked part-time at a restaurant named "Baratei" (薔薇亭 Bara-tei?, literally meaning "Rose Arbor").
- In the 11th opening, Share the World!, the Baratie was misspelled as "Valatie" in Sanji's background.